Thread: High DPI display - scaling?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question High DPI display - scaling?

Hi folks,

I've recently bought a high DPI ultrabook (1080p on 13"). My question: is there any method to do some scaling on Ubuntu (without decreasing the resolution, of course), or should I go with KDE? I've heard that KDE should support scaling for high DPI screens for a while.

Thanks for every tip!

(I have a HD4400 Intel "graphics", when it matters)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: High DPI display - scaling?

In regular Ubuntu with Unity some settings are Appearance > Launcher icon size and Universal Access > Text size. Those should help make things readable on a small high resolution screen. Although, text size in 13.10 is only Large On/Off instead of the selection of text sizes in 12.04. I guess Ubuntu no longer has a setting for specific font point sizes or boldness for different things like they did in earlier versions. And I have not found a general DPI setting.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Re: High DPI display - scaling?

I have the same problem on my new Dell XPS 15.
    The tool bars (and everything else) are extremely small, and hand to use, let alone see.
    I have managed to increase the size of the font, and icons by using zoom etc, but the toolbars are still causing problems.
    Any suggestions?