Thread: Flash/HTML5 Help

Beans

Flash/HTML5 Help

Hello Ubuntu Forums,

I'm running Xubuntu 13.10 [64-Bit] with XFCE 4.10 Desktop.

I use Firefox as my web browser, and when I first visited Youtube it asked me to install Flash. The automatic plugin finder popped up, tried to install flash through that but it failed. So I searched the add-ons and installed one that converted Flash to HTML5 and allowed me to watch videos.

Sometime today, videos stopped working. It will either display a please update your flash message otherwise tell me my web browser does not recognize any of the available video formats and provides a link for HTML5 Video FAQ.

I decided to uninstall the add-on, and open the terminal to run "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer"

It then tells me that I already have this installed, or so I believe?

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    flashplugin-installer is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      hyphen-en-us mythes-en-au openoffice.org-hyphenation
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Any suggestions as to what I'm to do? I assumed the original sudo command I put in would install it but I still cannot play videos.

Beans

Re: Flash/HTML5 Help

Install Ubuntu-restricted-extras (or xubuntu-restricted-extras?) from synaptic, that will install flash along with other multimedia codecs.

Beans

Thank you for your response.

I opened Synaptic and installed the Xubuntu-Restrictive-Extras and there was another similar in name that it highlighted. Unfortunately, that did not allow me to play flash. But it did allow me to watch HTML5 videos. I know this because I searched for HTML5 Videos on YouTube and they played!

So, I decided to uninstall/reinstall flashplugin-installer. Not to my surprise, it did nothing!

Finally I reopened Synaptic and found "adobe-flashplugin" with description "Adobe Flash Player Plugin Version 11." I swear I searched for it before and it didn't show up. Regardless, I found it and installed it.

Now Flash and HTML5 are playing without flaw.

Overall, I know the restrictive extras at least enabled HTML5 playback. During installation of Xubuntu, I decided to skip 3rd party software installation and I may have clicked that while flashplugin-installer was being downloaded or installed. Perhaps that did something, I don't know.

But for anyone else with a similar problem with the flashplugin-installer, instead find "adobe-flashplugin" and you should be set!

Thanks again for response.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.