Thread: i Have 12.04LTS Desktop 64bit which is dead after 491 updates

Beans

i Have 12.04LTS Desktop 64bit which is dead after 491 updates

Hi i've recently tried to update a Pc but i cannot even get the mouse to work when it boots up. After booting up in safe mode and tried apt-get update etc and got -- you need to dpkg configure -a .But when i tried this it said its a read only file.I Have been warned i'm missing libqt4-xml aswell. This PC is not mine and i'm really in the ____t with it. All i initially wanted to do was update firefox. When i accepted all 491 the United Kingdom server for Ubuntu updates was so slow i pressed cancel and changed it to a Norway Server.After that i got the strange missing libqt-xml file missing and an update manager failer.Can anyone help its an emergancy.

Thanks Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: i Have 12.04LTS Desktop 64bit which is dead after 491 updates

You need to run the command with sudo:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg configure -a
    If you interrupted the upgrade:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    to finish it up.

You do have admin access, don't you ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

Many thanks for your reply.How do i get to run that command when my computer goes directly into my guest account and no cursor works. I cannot get into safe graphics mode or any kind of terminal otherwise i would have already completed the same commands take no offence. Is there anyway i can force a terminal open as root or get to my admin account from a dead cursor in a guest account ? I have password for Admin but cannot find a way there its a strange place to be. Why does'nt Ubuntu run correct checks on updates that should either install or not install why do we suffer the inbetween all the time ? Hope you can help i'm really stuck its my mothers computer !!!!
    Hope someone can help soon !!!!
    Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't focus on items to rename on Desktop

Alt-F2 and run gnome-terminal
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

sudo dpkg --configure -a in safe mode so far shows dpkg in read only mode.
    Thanks for your reply will try out alt-f2 above now .

Beans

My computer is only requesting the password for the guest account after ALT F2 in Terminal which i do not understand.Surely theres my admin account why can't my computer understand this ? Surely theres programming errors here !! I not sure but its asking for the computer password surely thats the admin one ?? I can swap out and reinstall operating systems without blinking but i'll never understand why the computer asks for an irrelevant main computer password which no one knows does anyone know what is happening ? I never felt so frustrated.
    I must confess i have little patience with an update which take hours to download after which i press cancel. Surely the Ubuntu software should be able to handle a cancellation and a change of server for downloading update requests immediately.
    I remember i have done the same thing in the past and i had no joy fixing the problem - i really think Ubuntu programmers should fix this.
    Last edited by mat125; January 5th, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Beans

If you truly are in the guest account, then you won't be able to do anything useful since neither 'sudo' nor 'su' are allowed from such an account afaik

You will probably need to reboot into 'recovery mode' via the main grub menu, and select the menu item to drop to a root shell, then remount the filesystem with read-write permissions

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    and then do

Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    or even (to reconfigure ALL packages - WARNING: this *will* take a while - think 1/2-hr or 1hr not seconds-to-minutes)

Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure -a
    Last edited by steeldriver; January 5th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.

Beans

Hi Steel Driver thanks for your help it was genius. Tried : mount -o remount,rw / (next i tried) : dpkg --configure -a (thats all) and it worked. Saw the updates coming through immediately afterwards. Thanks once again.
    Last edited by mat125; January 6th, 2014 at 01:56 AM.

Beans

You're welcome - glad we got you up and running again

Please consider marking the thread as [SOLVED] via the 'Thread Tools' button to help others in the same situation