Thread: screen settings wrong for my monitor on login screen

Beans

screen settings wrong for my monitor on login screen

Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere.

I'm having a problem with the wrong screen resolution being used with the initial Ubuntu login screen.

The initial login window with the username/password is truncated/shifted to the left, so that I can't see the text on the screen. I can still enter my password, but I can't see the placeholder (*) characters echoed as I type in my PW, and I can't see/select the userid to login to the system with.

I had to change the resolution on my screen from a 16:10 aspect ration to a 4:3 aspect ratio to fit my monitor properly. I did this from the "Displays" tab in the "System Settings..." menu item.

My monitor is an Acer 22" 4:3 aspect screen. The default resolution that Ubuntu selected was 1680 x 1050 instead of 1600 x 1200.

Can I change the appearance of the login screen so that it fits properly in my monitor?

thanks in advance for your help,
    Gavin

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: screen settings wrong for my monitor on login screen

I had a similar thing happen once, but since I more often suspend than log out, I just used Ctrl+Alt+(number pad minus) to bring the password entry box back into sight.

Not a fix, but at least a workaround!

Beans

Re: screen settings wrong for my monitor on login screen

Egeezer:

Thank you so much! I've been suspending too, so this isn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be. I'll use your hint in the future...

Gavin