Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have I broken anything by uninstalling these programs?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Have I broken anything by uninstalling these programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Confuses me - the thread's about lubuntu
    I think it segued into other flavors/Ubuntu because of OP wanting something like LTS which Lubuntu currently doesn't offer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Confuses me - the thread's about lubuntu
    And I started off with:

I happened to notice this while it was in Ubuntu +1 and I noticed a few things worth mentioning:

#1: Since you're talking Lubuntu you are apparently looking for something lightweight.
    what's wrong with that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I think it segued into other flavors/Ubuntu because of OP wanting something like LTS which Lubuntu currently doesn't offer.
    Exactly, I was just offering another option

And a detailed option to boot.

Beans

Hello,

Nearly bedtime here. That's right the reason I was looking at Lubuntu for my friend is because he has one of the first generation of Pentium 4 computers 1.3Ghz with 384Mb of RAM.

I tried Xubuntu yesterday but it ran awfully slow. Today I tried Lubuntu and it runs great. Even LibreOffice opens reasonably quickly. He needs that as he has a lot of Powerpoint presentations and even some Publisher stuff.

I couldn't find a light weight Powerpoint viewer - yeah I know about Wine but I'm trying to wean him off Windows programs and help him to enjoy Linux alternatives e.g. Aisleriot which is a lot better than the default XP Patience game

I just tried the minimal install using Virtualbox and it went through quite a ways before an error message "warning couldn't download package dash"

Tried again with a similar error message. Then tried using VmWare but that also failed at around the same point. Will try again tomorrow.

I don't think it would run the 12.04.1 version but I guess it can't hurt to try.

Thanks very much for everyones good advice.

Regards,

Paul

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, sounds like you were installing ubuntu-desktop in the minimal install. That is not the idea. You want just the desktop environment, for you lxde is all you need, and only the packages required. *buntu-desktop anything drags in a HEAP of stuff.

sudo apt-get install lxde

... is all you need.

If you are trying to run virtual machines on the P4 you are going to run in to a LOT of trouble. There is simply not enough RAM.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 6th, 2014 at 02:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12