Thread: Mic of a combo jack (headphones+ mic) doesn't work

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Mic of a combo jack (headphones+ mic) doesn't work

I have an Acer V5-571G computer with an ubuntu 12.04 based distro (eOS). My problem is that my sound card only recognizes my headphones as headphones instead of headphones and mic, which it really is. I've tried every solution posted in this forum, also the sound troubleshooting ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...roubleshooting ) but it doesnt work for me. I've updated alsamixer and all the sound drivers and i've installed the gnome- alsamixer but it doesnt help me.
    My audio card only have one jack with 3 pins, 2 for audio and 1 for mic. i've managed to work with this headphones under windows 8 but it doesnt work in linux.
    If somebody doesnt understand, im using the typical mobile phone headphones, the ones which have an integrated mic.
    My computer just have one jack, the same for mic and headphones.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mic of a combo jack (headphones+ mic) doesn't work

i've never heard of a jack that was for both output and input. are you sure your mic isn't muted within alsamixer?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mic of a combo jack (headphones+ mic) doesn't work

This is a picture i found online of my headphones. You can see it has a mic with a button. i also tried pushing that button but it do nothing and nothing is muted in alsamixer. One thing, i have an integrated mic, when i unmute it i can hear the integrated mic in my headphones but i cant do nothing to hear the mic of my headphones, there isnt any option (i also pressed F5 to see all devices) to unmute it.