Thread: Is there a replacement for the software center?

Beans

Is there a replacement for the software center?

Is there another package installer I can use instead of the Ubuntu Software Center because whenever I open the software center it just freezes upon startup and when I try to purge it and re install it or update it I get this:

Code:
    Updating software catalog...this may take a moment.
    INFO:softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache:aptcache.open()
    WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/sonic-visualiser:x-sonicvisualiser.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application
    WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/sonic-visualiser:x-sonicvisualiser-layer.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application
    WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/workrave:workrave.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application
    Software catalog update was successful.
    Is there an easy way to just fix this problem with the software center?
    Last edited by StevenHodges92; January 3rd, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is there a replacement for the software center?

You can install synaptic package manager -- sudo apt-get install synaptic . It's usually the first thing I install in a new system.

Usually there's no need to remove software center.

I've seen those errors re sonic-visualiser many times. Not sure what they are but I just ignore them.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Yes, of course. I always use synpatic instead of the Software Centre.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Then if you download the occasional .deb and want to be able to install by right clicking, install gdebi and make it the default to open this kind of files (instead of the USC) It is a lot faster than the USC, it would finish installing by the time USC starts.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdebi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Judging by the text of those messages, it looks like a bug in the Software Center.

You can install pretty much anything from the command line if you know the name of the package:

sudo apt-get install packagenamegoeshere

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bertan2 View Post
    Judging by the text of those messages, it looks like a bug in the Software Center.

You can install pretty much anything from the command line if you know the name of the package:

sudo apt-get install packagenamegoeshere

Yeah what if you don't know the exact name of the package or just want to browse? What if name of package has changed? (so say instead of foo it is now foo2-3?) "Do the terminal" is not a very helpful answer for new users while there are clearly more appropriate alternatives.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 3rd, 2014 at 10:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Like some of the others who have replied, I also use synaptic for installing and removing packages and it is the first thing I add after installing a new system. Try it and you won't regret it; it is quicker than USC in my opinion, but more importantly, it is very much more flexible and can do many things that USC can not, for example, searching for details of installed files of any installed package.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by StevenHodges92 View Post
    Is there another package installer I can use instead of the Ubuntu Software Center because whenever I open the software center it just freezes upon startup and when I try to purge it and re install it or update it I get this:

Code:
    Updating software catalog...this may take a moment.
    INFO:softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache:aptcache.open()
    WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/sonic-visualiser:x-sonicvisualiser.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application
    WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/sonic-visualiser:x-sonicvisualiser-layer.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application
    WARNING:softwarecenter.db.update:The file: '/usr/share/app-install/desktop/workrave:workrave.desktop' could not be read correctly. The application associated with this file will not be included in the software catalog. Please consider raising a bug report for this issue with the maintainer of that application
    Software catalog update was successful.
    Is there an easy way to just fix this problem with the software center?
    There is nothing to fix, that just reflects that those 2 sources have some issues with their .desktops. You can safely ignore.

Never looked at workrave but the issue with sonic-visualiser is the package has 3 .desktops, 2 are not needed & have improper install paths. Maybe someone will fix for 14.04, maybe not.
    See here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1161283

The issue is that app-install-data lists all 3 .desktops, it should only list the actual one. If you really wanted the S-C message concerning s-v to go away then you'd simply remove the 2 highlighted .desktops in screen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Yeah what if you don't know the exact name of the package or just want to browse? What if name of package has changed? (so say instead of foo it is now foo2-3?) .
    A little time spent with:

Code:
    apt-cache search regex
    would be a great supplement to searches with either Synaptic or the Software Centre...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?