Thread: Keyboard layout switching

Beans

Thumbs down Keyboard layout switching

Hello!
    I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop amd64 with the latest updates. The system is newly installed and all settings are untouched.
    There are two keyboard layouts: English and Russian (added during installation). According to "Text Entry Settings" the key combinations to switch layouts are: [Super+Space] for next and [Shift+Super+Space] for previous.

Problem 1.
    [Super+Space] does not work. Only [Shift+Super+Space] works.

Problem 2.
    The current keyboard source indicator in the menu bar does not change to "En" or "Ru" in accordance with switching using key combination.

What a shame.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Keyboard layout switching

Quote Originally Posted by saproj View Post
    Hello!
    Problem 1.
    [Super+Space] does not work. Only [Shift+Super+Space] works.
    Problem 2.
    The current keyboard source indicator in the menu bar does not change to "En" or "Ru" in accordance with switching using key combination.
    I am using English and Greek on Xubuntu 13.10 with IBus input method. In the notification area I have an icon that does change when I switch back and forth between the languages, whether I do it by clicking on the icon and selecting the language or by using the hotkey. If I right-click on the icon I can go into Preferences where I can change the hotkey combination. I currently have it set to Shift+z or Ctrl+z. I'd prefer letters lin EN or ΓΡ, but the icon is good enough, although they are not intuitive. On my old computer (Xubuntu 12.04) it displayed a tiny American or Greek flag, but I can't find any way to change the icons in 13.10.

On my old computer I had it set to use Ctrl+Shift to toggle keyboards back and forth, but that option is no longer available. You can use Ctrl, Shift, Alt or several others by checking the box next to it, but the other key must be a letter. I had to choose from those three, however, because I don't know what the others are. Maybe keyboards in other countries have Meta and Super keys, but I don't.

My only remaining problem is to get Onboard to switch to Greek display when I select the Greek keyboard. It types in Greek, but the display remains English. On my old computer Onboard would immediately change its display to whatever language was selected.

On 12.04 it was all working perfectly. I don't know why it was necessary to fix it.
    Linguistics on Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Keyboard layout switching

Problem displaying input language Avestan

After having started Ubuntu 13.10 on the first Screen (that where to has inputted the password) there appears:

ir ir+ave
    (No onboard is available)

On the following screen (after having inputted the password) there appears:

Fa Avestisch
    (onboard is available)

What to do to get get changed

ir ir+ave

into

Fa Avestisch

on the first Screen (that where to has inputted the password)?