Thread: [Forum feedback] The 10 posts requirement to edit your profile is ridiculous

Beans

[Forum feedback] The 10 posts requirement to edit your profile is ridiculous

Maybe you received this feedback before: preventing users from editing their profile until they reached a quota of posts is not a sensible policy. I'm not sure how exactly this is supposed to curb spam, but if it does it's with unfortunate side effects. For good faith users not interested in spamming forums this requirement seems like an arbitrary rule set with little regard to how it comes across. I shouldn't accumulate a number of posts before I can edit my profile, I have never seen this rule on any other forum. I feel like I am treated like a profile spammer until I can prove I'm not by making 10 posts. Well, I'm not a profile spammer and I believe this hamfisted rule alters my expectations on how this community is managed in a bad way.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: [Forum feedback] The 10 posts requirement to edit your profile is ridiculous

IIRC it used to be 50 posts...
    We love http://www.gonzotourism.com because it's travel at it's most sexy-time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Forum feedback] The 10 posts requirement to edit your profile is ridiculous

The restriction is what it is, and is explained here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393

As has already been pointed out, it was 50 posts for a while, and then 25 posts.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's more than just 10 posts, though.
    It's 10 helpful posts in the support sections.

So go out and help others or look for help yourself.
    That's what these forums are for.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    The restriction is what it is, and is explained here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393

As has already been pointed out, it was 50 posts for a while, and then 25 posts.
    So I guess I'll have to wait until that number becomes zero, like on any reasonable forum. "The restriction is what it is" does nothing to explain why it is considered acceptable in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    It's more than just 10 posts, though.
    It's 10 helpful posts in the support sections.

Yeah, so you have to make 10 helpful posts before you are allowed to edit the privacy preferences of your profile. That makes total sense. I do not posses the knowledge to help with linux technical issues. Like many others, I come here to find answers and guidance for the myriad of issues that Ubuntu users face. I am willing to abide by a code of conduct that preserves a healthy environment on these forums. But this rule tells me that I have to make 10 "bean-earning posts" before I get the privilege that is norm for all users on any other forum right from the start. So every user is a spammer until they can earn the trust to be allowed to edit their profile by making 50, 25 or now 10 bean-earning posts. I don't think you can promote helpfulness in a community by forcing arbitrary rules such as this. People help if they can and if they wish to not because they have to earn beans.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Very clear explanation, from the link provided by lisati:

In September 2011, the ability to edit profile information was reluctantly removed from those users with a post (bean) count of less than 50. This was to prevent profile spam. Since the introduction of these measures, the time spent by staff dealing with spam has been much reduced, thus allowing us to do the things which really matter and for which staff joined the forum in the first place: spending productive time with the forum community. We are sorry for the inconvenience to members with low post counts, but the problem had become so bad that many members of staff were spending hours per day in cleaning profile spam.
    What's not to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr
    Good advice. You'll have ten posts before you know it. We are here to learn and share what we learn, not quibble about beans. Good luck and enjoy the forums.

PS:

Quote Originally Posted by fringeform
    Maybe you received this feedback before ...
    Yep. Plenty. And the reason the rule still exists is because of the very good reasons outlined in the explanation here.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 3rd, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fringeform View Post
    Yeah, so you have to make 10 helpful posts before you are allowed to edit the privacy preferences of your profile. That makes total sense. I do not posses the knowledge to help with linux technical issues. Like many others, I come here to find answers and guidance for the myriad of issues that Ubuntu users face. I am willing to abide by a code of conduct that preserves a healthy environment on these forums. But this rule tells me that I have to make 10 "bean-earning posts" before I get the privilege that is norm for all users on any other forum right from the start. So every user is a spammer until they can earn the trust to be allowed to edit their profile by making 50, 25 or now 10 bean-earning posts. I don't think you can promote helpfulness in a community by forcing arbitrary rules such as this. People help if they can and if they wish to not because they have to earn beans.
    Please remember that posts are counted in help areas only, whether you ask for help or give help. There is no way to discriminate. All in all, you need to have made at least 10 contributions to reach the limit. You cannot imagine how it was before the rule was set up. Yes, several of us needed to spend hours each day cleaning the profiles, yes it's been lowered over time and as the login process has changed, yes it can be seen as a useless restriction from a user point of view, yes it is useful to the Staff team, yes you agreed to the forums rules when you signed up and it is part of it, yes other sites do differently, yes *I* think the balance is fair and usable.
    Just contribute, that is the whole point. Profile customization is not necessary to use the forums and find or give help. I know it can be important to some, such restrictions are the consequences of a busy place targeted by spammers to get traffic. Sorry you do not like it.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Yeah, so you have to make 10 helpful posts before you are allowed to edit the privacy preferences of your profile
    I'm only going to answer this - the privacy part of your profile is editable by you.

Though all that means in effect is the e-mail address. The password field is not used now.

The rest of the profile is and will remain editable by those who have accrued more than 10 support posts.

If you don't like that - post in the Resolution Centre - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123 asking for your account to be disabled and someone will do so.

Closing this thread as there is nothing more to be said on the topic.