Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13.10, Unity, move menu item to desktop

Beans

Re: 13.10, Unity, move menu item to desktop

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm seeing different. If I copy a .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to my desktop, I get a dialog window with, for example:

and buttons to "mark as executable" or to "cancel" or to "launch anyway".
    Not sure what you are using as here, standard ubuntu install/nautilus, a copy from /usr/share/applications is fine, no warning, no need to adjust permissions
    (turns out after copy/paste they are auto set to x,
    pcmanfm also does the same, copied .desktop is ready to go after c&p

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    As far as a beginners question goes, if things like this are moved elsewhere, then is someone assuming a new convert would not like to know how to populate their desktop? If so, what's the use in having a desktop, unless you want them to try a different flavor of linux? i also do understand about Gnome, but what I don't understand is including a newer version in an upgrade that removes prevous functionality.
    Not really that big an issue, most 'new' users won't care to have app launchers on their desktop, they get a dock in Ubuntu, a dock in gnome-shell, ect.
    I think most that use the Desktop do so to store files & folders, not standard app launchers

As far as DnD of .desktops, nothing has changed, it's been a mv for a long time, no matter what the location
    (DnD a .desktop from another partition or external volume, see what happens...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Not sure what you are using as here, standard ubuntu install/nautilus, a copy from /usr/share/applications is fine, no warning, no need to adjust permissions
    (turns out after copy/paste they are auto set to x,
    pcmanfm also does the same, copied .desktop is ready to go after c&p
    Mine is no longer "standard". I started off with Lubuntu 13.10 but then added xfce4desktop and thunar and later on xubuntu-desktop --no-install-recommends and log into an Xfce session. So I'm willing to accept some differences in functionality.

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Drag and drop does NOT work if you hold the mouse down on a launcher in the menus and drag to the desktop in 13.10. Never had worked for me, and I'm not alone.

Just a personal note: I don't see why people are against having icons on the desktop. Contrary to one of the comments here, a new user is usually going to be a Windows want-to-convert. What do they have in Windows? Icons/launchers on their desktop. This why so many Windows users have had problems with Windows 8 - it initially took away that familiar look and feel that had been there for a couple of decades now. Why wouldn't one expect that those same new users would not want the ability to simply drag and drop (or right click an entry in the menu and select "Desktop") icons/launchers to their desktops. I for one, and it's just me personally, don't want to hunt through a bunch of icons everytime I want to start something. I don't want it "pinned" in the Unity menus. I want it on my dekstop. 1-click access to my most often used items. If one doesn't want launchers on the desktop, then what good is a desktop? You're just wasting space (and memory and a few CPU cycles) on something you aren't using. The Unity menu doesn't cover the entire desktop for a reason. If one wants to use a keystroke to pull the menu up, then hunt through icons, where does that fit compared to just clicking an icon on the desktop? If this whole "mess" (thanks, Gnome) is meant for nobody to have anything but documents on the desktop, then Ubuntu should have stuck with the look and feel of the old netbook edition where everything was on the screen. Menus are there for a reason. A ton of space on the desktop is there for a reason - and not just to put some cool looking background on.

If you look at the major players in OS's, all reflect the vision of having your most frequently used launchers on the desktop for easy access with no searching.

Now, that's my opinion. Obviously everyone has their own. I personally feel if you aren't going to use the desktop, ditch a desktop manager altogether and just go with the command line like we used to.

Ok, I'm done

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12