Thread: CPU/RAM used by netbook

Beans

Question CPU/RAM used by netbook

How much CPU/RAM your PC/Note has using? Especify your cpu configuration and your distro.

- Acer Aspire One 722/AMD Dual Core C-50 1.0 Ghz/2 GB RAM/Linux Mint 15 XFCE Edition.
    - CPU 8% idle.
    - CPU 20% with one instance of Firefox open with one tab.

My netbook is too weak?
    Last edited by ubunet; December 31st, 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: CPU/RAM used by netbook

We are not comparing like with like, are we? These comparisons are not worth much. What utility are you using to measure? And you are using Linux Mint and this is a Ubuntu Forum. Furthermore, questions like this are best put in the Ubuntu, Linux and OS chat section and not in a help section.

I have an Intel Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz CPU and with System Monitor open and Chromium opened to this web site both cores are averaging 5% and much less than that without Chromium. What does this prove? Percentages mean nothing when we are not comparing like with like.

By the way I am running Ubuntu (Unity) Trusty Tahr (14.04) with 1GB RAM and with just System Monitor open and it uses just 41% RAM. Not bad, eh?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux, and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have an Intel Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz CPU and with System Monitor open and Chromium opened to this web site both cores are averaging 5%.
    That's mostly System Monitor, it uses a lot of CPU time. Your system should be sitting at 0% use with only this site open in Chromium. Anything else is too much and probably indicates a bug.

By the way I am running Ubuntu (Unity) Trusty Tahr (14.04) with 1GB RAM and with just System Monitor open and it uses just 41% RAM. Not bad, eh?
    400mb used for the base OS and a little utility is actually bad. Maybe not unusual for Ubuntu, but I seem to remember Vista using approximately that much.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Which kind of proves my point that comparisons of this kind are not worth much. As a matter of fact, Ubuntu 12.04 was always using more than 50% of 1GB RAM. So, I am pleased with the improvement. But as long as the machine/OS combination handles the work load I put on it without causing me excessive frustration, then I am happy.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; January 1st, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530