Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I dont understand the new GUI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: I dont understand the new GUI

I also would definitely recommend giving Unity a chance.

Don't dismiss it just because it is different and try it out for a couple of weeks.

When I first switched from Windows to Linux I went with another Distro that had the KDE Desktop because I could not stand the Unity interface.

Probably because it was so different from the Windows interface that I was so accustomed to.

I had installed Ubuntu into VirtualBox just to mess around with it from time to time and I found myself liking the Unity interface the more that I used it.

After about a month I decided to switch to Ubuntu and I could not be happier.

Not only have I come to really like the Unity interface but I also love the fact that it is different.

I have ended up liking the Unity interface so much that I have moved the Windows task bar to the left on my computer at work to mimic the Unity interface and keep the workflow the same...

WinBuntu.jpg

Some people do not like change and that is fine because that is one of the great things about Linux if you don't like the Desktop Environment that it comes with just install one that you do like or go with another *buntu that has the Desktop Environment that you do like.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This thread is no longer a support request, but has turned into a discussion on preferred desktop environments, which has been discussed many times over.

Therefore, thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

I agree with ohters. Unity is different, but given a chance it is rather fast. I highly suggest some Youtube tutorials on it's use. It can help turn you into a power user quickly. If you still hate it, that's fine. Just install Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or any other desktop environment you like. Install a few and try them out. That's the great thing about Linux. You make it what you want it to be, so it's the best for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12