Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont understand the new GUI

Beans

I dont understand the new GUI

I recently got a new laptop and graduated from 10.04 to 12.04. So far, not so good...

In 10.04 I had menus such as: “Applications” and “Places” on the bar at the top and also was able to choose different themes from including window shapes and fonts.

When I start 12.04, I am faced with the same bar, but the menus are no longer there and there is no way to start an application unless it is in the launcher to the left and I do know there are tons more applications, because I can see their list in the “Software Center”. Also the “Themes” menu in the “Systems Settings” is very limited.

I did some search and thought that downloading and running the “The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components might be my solution, but unfortunately, upon restart I was faced once again, with the same launch bar on the left.

Can you help me with my request to make my 12.04 look more like and be as flexible as the 10.04?

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I dont understand the new GUI

In 12.04 you can install unity-2d

Other than that the ubuntu relative Mint with Mate desktop is next best or Xubuntu
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mate is a fork of the Gnome 2 desktop in 10.04 which Gnome ended support for . See the Ubuntu manual link in my signature if you want to learn more about Unity. See the following link for gnome session fallback customization . https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is a fast-paced distro, things change. It is progress. In the opinions of most people who have learnt the new desktop, it is a vast improvement over Gnome 2.

You can access your applications by clicking the Ubuntu button and then clicking the second icon along the bottom. Or right-click the Ubuntu button and choose Applications. You can filter results by category (including if you do a search).

Greater theme support is available if you install Gnome Tweak Tool.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Like you, I find Unity very unhelpful. I have replaced Unity with Gnome and now my desktop looks just like it did in 10.04. Here is the code:

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

After installing, reboot and before you put in your password, click on the little icon just above and to the right of the password box. Choose "'Gnome Desktop (no effects)" (or similar words). Then login.

Voila. You are back home.

Let us know how this worked for you if you try it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I made the switch from 9.10 to 12.04 and was unhappily surprised by appearance of the childish (and childlike) Unity. I could cite examples, but that would only pile more bromides on an overheated subject. This does a far better job:
    - I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
    - The reason why - I cannot tell;
    - But this I know, and know full well,
    - I do not like thee, Doctor Fell
    I immediately used a procedure like the one cited by #Odyssey1942 and have enjoyed my Gnome DT every second of every minute of every hour of every day. Here's hoping the OP does, too.

[EDIT] In response to subsequent posts, I happily concede that Unity is Mac-like by design. Now have a look at the webpage in my sig line and see what the author has to say about features in one product that are designed to make it appear like something in another.
    Last edited by whitesmith; January 1st, 2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: after-post observations
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The Unity launcher (as it is called) is really just a dock...have you ever seen or played with a mac in a store that sells those? Well, Unity works the same way (except it's on the left instead of the bottom)...the idea is to "pin" your favorite apps and most used ones to the dock for quick (1 click) access...simple and easy! And the "dash" search on the top button is to look for programs and files....you can use that to bring up apps you don't use often and don't add to the dock...isn't that easy?

You should work with it for about a week or two to see if you get to like it...then, if not, do one of the other options that was mentioned...

Gnome went to the the Gnome Shell since they discontinued gnome 2 that you were using on your old 10.04...i think Ubuntu's version of it is much sleeker and nicer to use....you should give it a try....
    why be stuck in the past? The problem is some just can't stand to see anything change...but sometimes change can actually be for the better...providing you give it a chance and keep an OPEN MIND about it...
    Last edited by craig10x; January 1st, 2014 at 01:42 AM.

Beans

I kept an open mind and used Unity for nine months. I finally got fed up with it and am now experimenting with xfce, which I like much better.

Sometimes change is good, sometimes it isn't. Seeing that requires an open mind too.

Here's a nice list of alternatives to Unity: http://askubuntu.com/questions/65083...-are-available
    Last edited by Dave_L; January 1st, 2014 at 03:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Dave_L: I think it really mostly comes down to whether one likes working with a "dock-centric" (icon based) desktop or a text based (the older style) menus...and if one doesn't like docks he is probably not going to like unity...Having worked with both windows and mac...I like both ways, so that's why i am fine with it, personally

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Personal preference is personal preference. There's really no objective way to grade one interface against another.

I'd recommend the OP at least make a bit of an effort to use Unity as it is intended to be used, rather than try to shoehorn it into another model. Better to know what it is you like or don't like, and why, than just walk away because it is different.

In the end, adding icons to the Launcher in Unity is directly analogous to adding icons to a panel. Unity does not need to put a window list applet in a panel because clicking on an running app's icon in the window switches to it.

Mate is the obvious choice for anyone who prefers the straight Gnome 2 interface. (Gnome fallback is somewhat different.) It's fine and stable. Ubuntu users should install it per the instructions at mate-desktop.org.

When the OP installed gnome-shell and did not see it on a reboot, he probably did not realize he needed to set it as the default DE when he logs in. If he's opted for automatic login, he won't be able to do that on a reboot. He needs to logout, and select Mate instead of Unity when LightDM prompts for log in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast