Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why to pick linux over windows

Beans

Why to pick linux over windows

So I've been working with linux for 2 days.... Found out how to fix my internet problem and ya.

I would like to know why should I pick linux ( I don't want to go windows, but I need to know which is better)

Ok can someone give me some good reasons?

Beans

Re: Why to pick linux over windows

The best one to use is the one that works for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

This is a very informative article called "Linux is NOT Windows"

found this in a moderator's signature. definately worth the read for someone new to linux, and will answer your questions fairly well.

Beans

Yea true but I like windows but I hate it too. For exemple :
    I got bad computer 1RAM
    Procesor : Intel Core 2 DUO
    GPU : 251MB Intel gma 950

Windows XP : Sucks with the drivers, internet problems always, and no updates what will be useful in the future.
    Windows Vista : WTF why they made it.
    Windows 7 : takes to much RAM from my laptop.
    Windows 8 : More ram.

Windows ---> Can get infected easy with a virus. ( While I'm a hacker and I know how to hack, Anti virus are useless if you got Crypter .

Ubuntu -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know any defects or any good?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    The best one to use is the one that works for you.
    I agree. Personally I like using GNU/Linux because it is very stable with the mature versions, and yet if you want to challenge yourself (and learn a lot in the process) you can use a development version, or install the latest bleeding edge kernel, or otherwise try to do interesting things like try out different programs which are freely available, all without worrying about paying a lot of money for a license or worrying about violating copyright laws. I dual boot Windows 8.1/Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr), and lately I've only been using Windows when necessary for work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Don't let the title fool you, it is a pretty good compairison of what you get with both OSes and why they are both that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my opinion, choosing linux over Windows is based on your expertise level. Windows is much more experienced in the GUI department. However, it is closed-source. Linux/Ubuntu is more focused on the command-line aspect of an OS, and so you need more experience to operate the more advanced features of it. However, it is open-source, meaning you can customize it more than you can with Windows. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    jjmarc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That's a good question. Why choose one over the other? It's not an either/or choice and I wish people wouldn't frame it that way. Using both is also a possibility by multi-booting.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by dafuqmanlolz View Post
    Windows 7 : takes to much RAM from my laptop.
    Windows 8 : More ram.

Windows ---> Can get infected easy with a virus. ( While I'm a hacker and I know how to hack, Anti virus are useless if you got Crypter .

Ubuntu -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know any defects or any good?
    If your main problem with Windows is that it takes too much ram, I can tell that Ubuntu (or better: Xubuntu, Lubuntu or any other light Linux distro) is less hungry. Also, it's far less susceptible to malware. Not completely immune, but much better than Windows.

I think Linux is more difficult to start with than Windows – at least, if you have to maintain the system yourself – but once you get more experience, it may be easier to get things done than on Windows.

Reasons NOT to use Windows
    Viruses
    Infections
    Spyware
    Trojans
    Adware
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast