Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why to pick linux over windows

Beans

Re: Why to pick linux over windows

That's a questions I made to myself a long time ago.
    Last year, in my class we have to learn Linux terminal, and everyone was like: "Oh, no Linux, I'm gonna fail this class! D:", people these days are so used to Windows, but they don't see how can Linux can make their lives even easier. Here's my reasons...

• Blue screens.

Gosh darn, that signal that Windows gives when something goes wrong in your PC, you may think that is the HDD, but it's not that, can be a virus, a wrong driver installed or a simple Windows error. What's the solution for that? Reinstalling Windows all over again or fix bad sectors. (if it has)
    Linux doesn't has that blue screens, when the HDD has bad sectors, Ubuntu doesn't boot at all, it stuck in the login screen, I know because my Inspiron Mini has HDD problems and I use Linux on it. Other thing is that Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Debian has the drivers pre-installed and saves time if you have to reinstall the system, because in Windows can give you like two or three hours installing Windows, drivers, programs and personal stuff.

• Updates

I really, seriously, REALLY, hate Windows update mechanism, I mean, update when powering off the computer, right, if you have to go you have to wait the computer to shut down because it's trying to shut down, and sometimes the updates are like 2 or 4 GB in size, and everyday has a lot.
    When I use Linux it's just open terminal, type sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, 30min downloading 400MB updates and that's it, the curious part is even when installing updates Windows gets slower and gets bugs whatsoever. See how stable is Linux, sure you do.

• Performance

Even a Core i7 can lag in Windows, and I'm not saying that in Linux doesn't it's just that Linux is so much faster in comprasion to Windows.

• Viruses

Virus, that thing that when you download and execute something, your PC can get slower or your data is gone.
    In Linux, don't worry about that, there's no need for an antivirus, one more reason that Linux is faster.

However, Windows is not bad at all, I like the simplicity that has, sometimes I use it because I give support to that OS, hope that everyone can use Linux. Well, Android is a good start since is based on Linux kernel.
    Last edited by oldos2er; December 31st, 2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Please keep your language family friendly.

Beans

ColtMan,

Your link is broken in my system (10.04/Google Chrome browser).

Beans

This is gonna blow up as a thread but here's my two cents that might help you.

Windows

Pros
    - software readily available
    - fixes are easily found normally
    - generally hiccup free on most machines
    - GUI oriented for everything

Cons
    - closed
    - GUI is what it is. You can do some stuff with it but it seems much harder to get what you want in Windows vs. Linux
    - No auto update of software

Linux OTOH can make some things easier and some harder

Pros
    - open source
    - GUI can be changed with relative ease
    - auto updating of software
    - much easier to do things via the terminal (ie. ADB (for Android) is simple as can be, copying an ISO to a USB/CD is easier, etc.)

Cons
    - Can be tempermental (though that was largely with past releases)
    - Sometimes some HW doesn't work (more rare these days as well)
    - Has a learning curve if you're used to Windows

This is obviously a small list but it really depends what you're going for.
    I dual boot both (though 90+% I'm in Linux) but both can be nice and well suited for different tasks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
    - Has a learning curve if you're used to Windows
    People tend to forget, but Windows has a steep learning curve as well.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Im totally lost in linux i like windows period!

Beans

Sorry if my reply is going to offend some ... but basically .. the decision is almost entirely PERSONAL.

I've been using both Windows and Linux for nearly 10 years, and can state from experience, with the exception of the COST of acquiring Windows apps (very few are free -- but some are), and Windows being closed-source (which is a mute point since, I would venture to guess that less than 1% of Linux users ever really look at the SOURCE of any app they're using), the pros and cons of both OSs are pretty much the same.

I regularly run a host of Window boxes, ranging from an old XP box, through Vista, Win7, and Win8.1 -- and can't remember the last time I got a real infection on any of the boxes. And, the only one I run commercial AV products on are the ones that touch the Internet on a daily basis. On the others, I regularly boot from a variety of AV disks and run routine checks -- and they always come back negative.

Regarding auto-updates, all of the apps I use daily do their own auto-updates -- I don't have to go out and find updates for them. And, just so you know, the Linux apps largely do NOT do their own updates. You get a new app version (usually) when you upgrade to a new Linux distro release; at other times, you get bug fixes. In Windows, you get a new app version when they come out, not necessarily with upgrading the OS version -- and then, you usually have to pay the upgrade price -- but as I already said, cost of apps is a major difference between Windows and Linux.

As to the Windows GUI, I'm one of those hard-liners that does NOT use the Tiled-based interface in Win8x. For a desktop without touch capabilities, I find it just plain STUPID! I continue to use the "old" desktop interface, and have lots of different "skins" in place for changing the GUI. Stardock provides a host of Windows products for changing the default GUI. In all honesty, I would have to say this is a "draw" between Windows and Linux.

As to performance, this is REALLY where "your mileage will vary". I run several OSs multi-boot on the SAME PC, so I can readily compare the real-time performance of different OSs and apps, and from my experience, the Linux distros are no "faster" that are the Windows OSs. And, unlike in Linux where new hardware nearly always does not work until someone finally make a driver for it, in Windows, hardware comes with drivers. If you think Linux handles hardware as well as Windows, then you have not had to deal with "hybrid graphics".

So, as I started out saying, the main reason to pick AN OS over another is how well it suits your needs -- because, in the end, any modern OS is going to provide pretty much the same capabilities and features.
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Sorry if my reply is going to offend some ... but basically .. the decision is almost entirely PERSONAL.

I've been using both Windows and Linux for nearly 10 years, and can state from experience, with the exception of the COST of acquiring Windows apps (very few are free -- but some are), and Windows being closed-source (which is a mute point since, I would venture to guess that less than 1% of Linux users ever really look at the SOURCE of any app they're using), the pros and cons of both OSs are pretty much the same.

I regularly run a host of Window boxes, ranging from an old XP box, through Vista, Win7, and Win8.1 -- and can't remember the last time I got a real infection on any of the boxes. And, the only one I run commercial AV products on are the ones that touch the Internet on a daily basis. On the others, I regularly boot from a variety of AV disks and run routine checks -- and they always come back negative.

Regarding auto-updates, all of the apps I use daily do their own auto-updates -- I don't have to go out and find updates for them. And, just so you know, the Linux apps largely do NOT do their own updates. You get a new app version (usually) when you upgrade to a new Linux distro release; at other times, you get bug fixes. In Windows, you get a new app version when they come out, not necessarily with upgrading the OS version -- and then, you usually have to pay the upgrade price -- but as I already said, cost of apps is a major difference between Windows and Linux.

As to the Windows GUI, I'm one of those hard-liners that does NOT use the Tiled-based interface in Win8x. For a desktop without touch capabilities, I find it just plain STUPID! I continue to use the "old" desktop interface, and have lots of different "skins" in place for changing the GUI. Stardock provides a host of Windows products for changing the default GUI. In all honesty, I would have to say this is a "draw" between Windows and Linux.

As to performance, this is REALLY where "your mileage will vary". I run several OSs multi-boot on the SAME PC, so I can readily compare the real-time performance of different OSs and apps, and from my experience, the Linux distros are no "faster" that are the Windows OSs. And, unlike in Linux where new hardware nearly always does not work until someone finally make a driver for it, in Windows, hardware comes with drivers. If you think Linux handles hardware as well as Windows, then you have not had to deal with "hybrid graphics".

So, as I started out saying, the main reason to pick AN OS over another is how well it suits your needs -- because, in the end, any modern OS is going to provide pretty much the same capabilities and features.
    +1 Could never have been said better!
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12