Thread: Help with my Eagle Scout Project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Help with my Eagle Scout Project

Hello fellow Ubuntu users!

My name's Alden Davidson - I've been an Ubuntu user for a few years now, and at this point in my life I'm working towards acheiving my Eagle Scout award. For my project, I want to do an Ubuntu Install/Information event sort of thing, with somebody/somebodies doing a presentation on Ubuntu (what it is, what it can do for you, the audience, etc.), helping attendees install Ubuntu if they would like, helping them clear hard drives securely if they want to discard their computer, donating useful computers to community centers - all in all, lots of fun stuff.

I'm emailing you all today because I'm not allowed to make a presentation myself - to show leadership, organization and all that I have to organize other people to make my event go - and I would like to see if there are any volunteers here who would be willing to help out - even if you can't/don't want to present, I'd love to have you show up to answer questions, help out, or just to see what's going on.

I haven't set a date for anything yet, as I'm just in the first stages and my proposal hasn't even been approved yet, but I wanted to see if there was any interest or any available bodies for this. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this, you can PM me.

Last edited by QIII; December 30th, 2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: email removed
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Help with my Eagle Scout Project

I've removed your email. Even obfuscated as you had it, web crawlers can pick it out and let you in for a lot of junk/scam emails.

I think you are going to have a hard time selling this. Your leadership will certainly want to ask how this would help the community.

You might look for a local Linux user group in your community. Also, the VFW and the American Legion typically bend over backwards to help with Eagle Scout projects -- or may have something you can do for them if the Ubuntu thing doesn't work out and you have to change your project to something else. So you might want to contact your local VFW Post and American Legion Post. They might be able to help you with some sort of broad, community service angle.

If you want this to be Ubuntu, you might contact some local non-profits who may use open source to see if anyone is using Ubuntu. Arranging for some sort of training for a non-profit organization serving your community might be seen as directly affecting the community more than just a "Check out Ubuntu Night" sort of thing.

Also, find our where your LoCo meets and go attend a meeting. Talking to people in real life is a lot better than a Forum!
    Last edited by QIII; December 30th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello, original emailer here; sorry about the email, didn't realize that wasn't enough.

Additional info: I live in central PA, in the town of Lewisburg, by Bucknell University.

Anyway, as far as concerns with its viability, I've already held some preliminary talks with a few members of my advancement board (the people who approve my proposal) and they felt this was a sound enough plan - although if it does fall through I'm probably going to get in touch with LARA. I'm posting here since the LoCo team were the first people to come to mind when I was thinking of Ubuntu PR stuff. I don't think there are any local groups, but I'll check at Bucknell University to see if any Linux-oriented student groups exist (there likely is one, since it's an engineering school). I also just thought of contacting MePush, since some of their employees have Linux experience and may be able to help.

Training is a good idea - I'll have to add that to my proposal. I'm going to also "attend" the IRC meeting for the LoCo on Thursday and the PACS Linux Chat next Monday, and I might see about going to some of the other meetings coming up next week (like CPLUG); 1 hour+ is quite a drive for a meeting, but you're right about talking to people in real life...

Thanks for the quick feedback!
    Last edited by DaimyoKirby; December 30th, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Oh, woops, I figured there was some important information missing. I live in central PA, in the town of Lewisburg, right next to Bucknell University.

Central PA'ers help the scout!

http://cplug.net/wp2/
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Software Freedom Day?

Software Freedom Day is in the fall, but they might have good advice and experience to share for events even if they are at another time of the year. Also the area might have a LUG with knowledgeable people. I see a Central Pennsylvania group http://cplug.net/wp2/, there might be another even more local.