Thread: Computer Boots to TTY screen only

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Computer Boots to TTY screen only

A friend has an older HP Pavillion desktop that I installed 12.04 on(it's now at 12.04.3). It has worked quite well for him for some time. Recently the kernel upgraded and now boots to the tty screen and no graphics. I tried recovery mode in low graphics but it didn't help(still booted to tty). I tried repairing broken packages and boot repair to no avail. From the web I saw editing the grub file and changing quiet splash to quiet splash nomodeset or just nomodeset might work but it didn't work.
    The computer will boot to graphics mode using an earlier kernel but this seems to me to be a stop gap solution. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

Re: Computer Boots to TTY screen only

Can you provide some info about the graphics device (brand - model if possible)?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Steel Driver. I will get that info the next time I'm over at my friend's (tomorrow morning I hope). I think it is onboard Nvidia
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

several people are having issues with recent nvidia upgrades - if that is the case here, these instructions may help --> http://askubuntu.com/a/396159/178692

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Steeldriver that is certainly worth trying

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    several people are having issues with recent nvidia upgrades - if that is the case here, these instructions may help --> http://askubuntu.com/a/396159/178692

Worked perfectly. Thanks

Beans

Happy to help - please consider marking the thread as [SOLVED] using the 'Thread Tools' menu at the top of the thread

Ironically my own nvidia-based laptop broke after updating this morning... and so far jockey-text hasn't worked for me

Beans
    Distro

Reopened this thread because another, related problem popped up. While the issue with graphics is now working properly on boot I now have a new problem with the computer not shutting down. On shutdown it appears that Ubuntu shuts down as the screen is blank but the power button on the computer remains lit. Are these issues, including the original issue with boot to tty screen resolved in 13.10 Xubuntu. The reason I ask is the issues all seem to be connected with NVidia driver updates and if installing 13.10 will resolve things I may do that for my friend. Sorry to resurrect this thread but the problems seem connected