Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with firefox/chrome

Beans

Cool Help with firefox/chrome

I'm a new Ubuntu user, I have Ubuntu 12.4, have Firefox and chrome, firefox won't play flash, and chrome will yet crashes. I download Restricted-extras package, and The flash plugin. Still having issues. I'm working with 256MB RAM, and a 32-bit system. Not good I know. Please help if possible. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Help with firefox/chrome

If you are running Ubuntu 12.04 with the unity desktop I'm surprised you are even able to get the OS installed and running at all with only 256MB ram, and I suspect that is the main cause of your crashing chrome.

As for the flash problem, chrome installs its own version of pepperflash plugin, which is a google version of 11.9, whilst the adobe flash in Linux is 11.2 in all other situations, and flash in Linux takes a lot of resources; 256MB ram is, I think, very borderline.

What is your other machine specs, as it may help us give you more help?

Suggestions:-

1. For a start I suggest you try using Lubuntu, though even that may baulk at 256MB ram.
    2. Add more ram if possible; it's the cheapest upgrade you can make to a system.
    3. If Lubuntu is still no good, look at some of the even lower resource users, such as Puppy, DSL, etc etc. Go to DistroWatch.com for more info on OSs available.

Beans

Thanks for replying! Actually its 512MB RAM. So Lubuntu is made for low-end running and older PC's? I'm downloading it now. I'd like to completly replace Ubuntu with Lubuntu. Any suggestions on this matter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you running it as a stand-alone system or is it a dual-boot?
    If stand alone, since it is relatively new install it as a completely new system.
    If dual boot, install it over where ever you put the ubuntu install.
    Basically, install it to overwrite the ubuntu install.

In lubuntu, instead of the ubuntu-restricted-extras, put an L(small, but I used the big one so you know it is not a number or an I) in front : lubuntu-restricted-extras.

Edit: I'm not sure if it still does, but I think lubuntu uses chromium-browser as it's default.
    That is the open-source verison that google chrome is based on.
    However it does not use the chrome flash plugin.
    But if you follow this guide, it will give the you the abilty to use the chrome flash plugin.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/insta...layer-for.html

otherwise, you can just install the restricted packages and use the linux version of flash, which is old(because adobe dropped development of flash for linux, though it still supports it;for now)
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 29th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks deadflowr. I tried that went to gedit and tried editing and saving default.sh, and it won't let me. I don't have permission, which i don't understand. Iv'e replaced windows XP with Ubuntu 12.4. No dual boot. And I don't have permission on my own computer? Confused... Please help. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by d-wall08 View Post
    Thanks deadflowr. I tried that went to gedit and tried editing and saving default.sh, and it won't let me. I don't have permission, which i don't understand. Iv'e replaced windows XP with Ubuntu 12.4. No dual boot. And I don't have permission on my own computer? Confused... Please help. Thanks.
    Firstly, did you install Lubuntu, or is this still Ubuntu?
    Secondly, did you run the gksu command
    Code:
    gksu gedit <filenamehere>
    ?
    I'm guessing this is for the pepperflash ppa setup.

Added: I don't know if Lubuntu uses gedit, anyway.
    I though it used leafpad, or maybe even mousepad.
    Concept's the same though, just change gedit for the text editor Lubuntu uses.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans

Ok. Now I downloaded lubuntu 13.10. Should I create a startup installation disk and reboot and install Lubuntu from there, or can I open and install the .iso with Ubuntu running? And yes its for the pepperflash ppa setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Reboot after you burn/make an install disk/usb thingy.
    If the burn is bad, the worst thing that'll happen is it won't be read and you'll just boot into the existing Ubuntu you have already installed.
    I know, though that when you put an install disk in the cd drive when using Ubuntu it sometimes will tell you it has found install packages, or something to that effect. But I've never run that, so don't know what to except.
    Simpler to just reboot and re-install.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please run (using any kind of Buntu)
    Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Lubuntu help!!

I downloaded and installed Lubuntu, I have a 32 bit system with 512 MB RAM. It's not in dual boot. Foxfire doesn't play flash, and I'm new to Lubuntu, is there any updates I should know about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast