Thread: Looking for Graphical Utilities for Ubuntu like I get on a Mac/Windows

Beans

Looking for Graphical Utilities for Ubuntu like I get on a Mac/Windows

Hello - How do I find graphical utililities for the Ubuntu 13.1 desktop environment that replicate things like Console and Activity monitor on a Mac. Also looking for utlitilites for Proccess Start/Stop like you have in Centos. Looking to make Ubuntu as similar graphically as a Mac (or ugh Windoze).

Also how do I know what tools in /usr/bin are actually graphic utilies that I can run/pin to the taskbar.

Thanks for any help!

Thad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking for Graphical Utilities for Ubuntu like I get on a Mac/Windows

Quote Originally Posted by thad-0 View Post
    Also how do I know what tools in /usr/bin are actually graphic utilies that I can run/pin to the taskbar.

Thanks for any help!

Thad
    Any applications you can find in the dash menu can be pinned.
    So, open the dash and look at the applications there.
    Easy way, either right-click on the top icon(dash)and select applications, or press superkey(windows-icon key) + a (super +a).
    This'll open the apps menu for the dash, directly.
    Scroll through the list of installed apps.

Edit: seems you marked this as ubuntugnome, which uses a different way of accessing the apps.
    I don't think either of the mentioned ways does it for that, but instead simply choose applications when opening the actitivies and then it would be right click to add to favorites.
    Don't know if you meant to mark it like that, but it is a crucial difference in what you'll need to do.
    but the base concept is the same, All applications listed in the dash menu system are pinnable in both.
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 29th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First, welcome to Ubuntu!

There isn't really a way to know which utilities in /usr/bin are GUI based.
    Also, /usr/bin does not contain all of your tools. There are tools located in /bin /usr/bin and /sbin

Assuming you are running Unity, you can click the dash button, and search for utilities that are already on your system to see if they are GUI or CLI based.

As far as replacements for windows applications:
    Task Manager = Task Manager (You can also use the "top" command to view processes in a command line environment)
    CMD = Terminal

What are some of the applications you are needing in Ubuntu? Can you give the windows names of the specfic utilities?
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

utility programs in ubuntu can range from different aspects of taks. here is a link were u can find a bunch of utilities useful that u can install according ur needs !!

http://www.ubuntulinuxhelp.com/top-1...-applications/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by thad-0 View Post
    Hello - How do I find graphical utililities for the Ubuntu 13.1 desktop environment that replicate things like Console and Activity monitor on a Mac.
    Firstly, it's Ubuntu 13.10 (released in the 10th month of 2013), not 13.1.

Gnome Terminal - just press Control-Alt-T.
    System Monitor - Right-click on the Ubuntu icon, choose Applications, and either type "System Monitor" or browse through the list.

Also looking for utlitilites for Proccess Start/Stop like you have in Centos.
    Can you be more specific of what you're looking for? Are you talking about starting and stopping system services?

All of the graphical programs are available in the Dash. Right-click the Ubuntu icon, choose Applications, and browse through the list of use the Filter Results option to sort them. You can drag one to the Launcher to pin it there.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.