Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to update programs in ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to update programs in ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Predictably broken is much better than unpredictably broken. Predictably broken makes it much easier for community support to repeat/identify/diagnose problems.
    Well if it is predictably broken you would think that they would have fixed the problem already, and often they do just that you have to get the new version for the fix. I disagree that predictably broken is better, broken is broken and it is worse to tell people to stick with it for some weird ideological reason while a fix is very likely already available.

There is always a small risk of regression, but it would be ridiculous to tell people to ALWAYS use old software for fear of regression. If the new version doesn't work you can always downgrade given that the old version is always available in the repo. It is not the 'linux way' to be ultraconservative in installing up to date software, just the way of some distros, Arch definitely doesn't adhere to that, and neither does Fedora (even as a static distro)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 29th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    It is not the 'linux way' to be ultraconservative in installing up to date software, just the way of some distros, Arch definitely doesn't adhere to that, and neither does Fedora (even as a static distro)
    You're absolutely right there. But I would contend that it is the Ubuntu way. And the forum code of conduct does mention something about that...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    You're absolutely right there. But I would contend that it is the Ubuntu way. And the forum code of conduct does mention something about that...
    It is not even the Ubuntu way, just one way of using Ubuntu. If it is the Ubuntu way launchpad won't be hosting any ppa (Debian, for example has no such things and is actually against it) there won't be those tutorials for compiling the latest xyz and the repo wouldn't come with so many build tools and different versions of compilers(e.g Fedora only has the default version of gcc while Ubuntu has 3 or 4). A rich ecosystem of ppa is in fact a most attractive feature of Ubuntu, it provides a convenient way to selectively upgrade to the latest and greatest and a way to roll back (ppa-purge). It is a happy middle ground between the arch way (rolling everything) and the Debian way (never upgrade anything)

The 'Ubuntu way" is being flexible. If "rock stable" (like a fossil) is the only consideration one should be using Debian stable instead of Ubuntu.

The advice I often hear by some very conservative people is the logical equivalent to "if you go out you may get robbed or hit by cars so better sit home and lock all the doors and windows." If this is "the Linux way" I can't see how it would be appealing to new users.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; December 30th, 2013 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As mentioned:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will get you to the latest in your current release (not upgrade you to a newer release). If you want the absolutely latest bleeding edge of everything, install the nightly builds.

Beans

You can do both actions (update & upgrade) if you write ";" between codes. To me, this way save time.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laura.gildelaserna View Post
    You can do both actions (update & upgrade) if you write ";" between codes. To me, this way save time.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
    Or you can do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe instead of typing long statements over and over again, it would be wise to suggest using the software-updater/update-manager.
    That's what it's there for.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asiancraig2 View Post
    ... shows the old versions when i know that new ones came out. There is no option to update!
    During the life of a release, the only updates are for critical bugs or security. Also, the updates are only for officially supported software. In other words, each time a new release is available, there's a chance of all the software being updated (provided these software updates are available before the freeze date).
    As others have pointed out, if you want the latest software which isn't available from the standard repository, learn how to install such software yourself, whether by using ppas or by compiling from source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by asiancraig2 View Post
    i can't find ppa for newest codeblocks.

So i can't get newer versions unless i upgrade ubuntu OS? seriously, upgrading ubuntu is a mess... I upgraded from ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 reluctantly cause i wanted some newer version of my programs and it was a whole mess. THe whole unity thing, the ubuntu one and etc, so much unnecssary change and annoying ones too. I had to go through alot of trouble to get ubuntu 12.04 working, feeling and looking my ubuntu 10.04 which i loved. So i'm not going through that mess again.

but like you said, newer version of programs come out quickly, so even upgrading my ubuntu didn't do it for me since new one came out out fast. I wished installing and removing and upgrading programs on ubuntu were easy like windows xp and weren't so dependent on the OS version it self since not even program have good PPAs.
    ppa

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=17634.0

and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113262

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12