This is Opera just now
    trying firefox
    chromium
    any known issues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Browsers on Ubuntu 14.o4 betas

I run all three, depending on the situation, and yes, they all have known issues.

By far, my favorite is Chromium. I mostly run raw trunk builds of Chromium. Let's see...

Currently (a couple of days old):
    Code:
    Chromium	34.0.1762.0 (Developer Build 242590) 
    OS	Linux 
    Blink	537.36 (@164345)
    JavaScript	V8 3.24.7
    Flash	11.2 r202
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1762.0 Safari/537.36
    Command Line	 /home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome --disable-setuid-sandbox --user-data-dir=/home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path	/home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome
    Profile Path	/home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary/Default
    Variations [...]

If you WANT issues (like I do) this is the buggiest version known to man. Highly recommended, for trouble!

Download: https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

If you don't want lots of issues, just use the stable version, in the PPA.

Personally, I can't wait for the Maxthon Cloud Browser Alpha to be released for Linux (it won't be long).

But, you didn't ask about that...
    Last edited by VinDSL; December 29th, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I run all three, depending on the situation, and yes, they all have known issues.

By far, my favorite is Chromium. I mostly run raw trunk builds of Chromium. Let's see...

Currently (a couple of days old):
    Code:
    Chromium    34.0.1762.0 (Developer Build 242590) 
    OS    Linux 
    Blink    537.36 (@164345)
    JavaScript    V8 3.24.7
    Flash    11.2 r202
    User Agent    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1762.0 Safari/537.36
    Command Line     /home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome --disable-setuid-sandbox --user-data-dir=/home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path    /home/vindsl/.chrome-linux/chrome
    Profile Path    /home/vindsl/.config/chromium-canary/Default
    Variations [...]

If you WANT issues (like I do) this is the buggiest version known to man. Highly recommended, for trouble!

Download: https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

If you don't want lots of issues, just use the stable version, in the PPA.

Personally, I can't wait for the Maxthon Cloud Browser Alpha to be released for Linux (it won't be long).

But, you didn't ask about that...
    I always wanted to know who is the second guy (beside me) who uses AppSpot Chromium... Now I know...

Beans

I've been wondering about Opera. Anyone have the straight story?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've been wondering about Opera. Anyone have the straight story?
    I seriously doubt it. The devs are 'holding the cards close to their chests'.

It seems like everyone is forking Chromium, these days, because it works so well across all sorts of different devices. That way, regardless of what device you're using -- you're met with a familiar UI. That's what Opera is trying to do too.

It's the holy grail of browser development, with a pot of gold waiting at the end of the rainbow, for anyone that can figure out how to sway ppl to their honeypot, e.g. sign-up for their Cloud Services, so called.

The thing is, Opera fanbois are used to, and expect, lots of classic Opera features that simply don't exist in any other browser. Anything the devs cobble together is going to be measured against Opera 12.

Rumor has it that adding ALL of these classic Opera features to Chromium will be impossible, so the result will be a compromise.

I've also read that 'they' are continuing to develop Opera 12, in case the Chromium product doesn't sell (literally).

Have you heard anything?!?!? I'm all ears...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I always wanted to know who is the second guy (beside me) who uses AppSpot Chromium... Now I know...
    Heh! I wish I could make that 'API' message go away. Do you get that, at startup?

I actually went over and generated a Chromium Project containing various APIs, generated a key, installed it, and all that nonsense. And, I'm STILL getting the message at startup.

Oh, the joys of testing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have installed Chromium stable and use it a lot. Also installed Opera stable via this page I believe: http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/opera

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ apt-cache policy opera
    opera:
      Installed: 12.16.1860
      Candidate: 12.16.1860
      Version table:
     *** 12.16.1860 0
            500 http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable/non-free amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    I use Firefox some; got rid of NoScript as it's a pain most of the time and installed Ghostery and WOT. Same thing on Chromium.

I use Opera with no addons except WOT to see sites that the other 2 won't show due to the addons.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Heh! I wish I could make that 'API' message go away. Do you get that, at startup?

I actually went over and generated a Chromium Project containing various APIs, generated a key, installed it, and all that nonsense. And, I'm STILL getting the message at startup.

Oh, the joys of testing...
    Yes, message is there but it does not bother me at all... It does cripples Chromium in certain ways but I do not care...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I use Chrome myself but i just got into 14.04 development and happened to notice that in the ubuntu software center as well as the synaptic package manager, ubuntu has added the pepperflash plug in for chromium which you can download and it must add it on to Chromium automatically...so, those who run Chromium, but want and easy way to add in the plug in, as of 14.04 you can easily get it now...

Also makes me wonder if they may go ahead after all and make Chromium the default browser...perhaps that is why they added that package on...
    For me, i will still use Chrome itself, but this is certainly good for the Chromium users

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I use Chrome myself but i just got into 14.04 development and happened to notice that in the ubuntu software center as well as the synaptic package manager, ubuntu has added the pepperflash plug in for chromium which you can download and it must add it on to Chromium automatically...so, those who run Chromium, but want and easy way to add in the plug in, as of 14.04 you can easily get it now...

Also makes me wonder if they may go ahead after all and make Chromium the default browser...perhaps that is why they added that package on...
    For me, i will still use Chrome itself, but this is certainly good for the Chromium users
    Hmmm, don't know anything about pepperflash. Best video here is from Chromebook Acer 710. Supposed to be 1.1 gHz dual core but runs video's faster than my faster processors running Ubuntu.

I typically install Chrome Stable on Ubuntu lately because it automatically picks up added bookmarks from my 3 tablets running Android and my Chromebook whatever version of Google Chrome it shipped with.

There's supposed to be some way to pick up bookmark changes in Firefox but haven't bothered to find out how.

Now on Chrome I do get "He's dead, Jim" from time to time example when I've got a zsync running too. No such problem with Firefox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast