Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Baaaack in Development (14.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm Baaaack in Development (14.04)

Well, i did it...upgraded my 13.10 final into 14.04 development using my usual method of the live session iso installer option to upgrade...Went very smooth! It did stumble for a while toward the end because i couldn't agree to the mscorefont license, so in the future, i will avoid that by temporarily uninstalling them and re-install after the upgrade...have to re-install that anyway after upgrading...

It also knocked out Google Chrome, ppas and libdvdccs2 as well as Open JDK java...and the main volume setting and Rhythmbox volume setting had to be set back up to maximum...
    Otherwise, everything carried through beautifully as my 2 previous upgrades...including all the rest of my installed programs, settings, data (pictures, mp3 videos, etc)...
    And a lot less work to put those few items back again as compared to re-installing everything from scratch...

Everything appears to be running very stable on 14.04 but i do notice that intermittent bug upon log in where you can't type until you hit the "En" icon on the top panel...doesn't do it everytime but i guess it hasn't been fixed yet...

Also i notice the splash screen where you log in still says ubuntu 13.10....so i assume that hasn't been updated yet?

I guess i just couldn't resist

Hope it will be a smooth ride from this point until final release when i will re-upgrade with the iso installer to clean out the extra accumulation during development...
    From 14.04 final on, i then plan to upgrade into each final 6 month version of Ubuntu, so this will be my last participation in Development...

This is the THIRD time i used the iso installer upgrade method and i must say it is reliable and works very well...much better then i ever expected
    You do get a few items knocked out it seems, but it takes far less time to add those back in then when you do a clean install and have to put it all back again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I'm Baaaack in Development (14.04)

Sweet! Welcome back...
    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Hope it will be a smooth ride from this point until final release [...]
    LTSs are usually a snooze.

They don't want to get too experimental, you know?
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks VinDSL!
    Yeah, i hear you...
    I think that is partly what motivated me to move into 14.04, as i figured that as an LTS, they mostly go for bug fixing and stability improvements and nothing really radical or major...
    Last edited by craig10x; December 28th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

... i figured that as an LTS, they mostly go for bug fixing and stability improvements and nothing really radical or major...
    Ubuntu might - we're trying to get a bunch of new stuff in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Welcome back, so far It has been a walk in the park. I had one little glitch so far which I had to manual update from the command line.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks guys...that is what i wanted to hear

I know that the bug with the typing in the log in password was reported, so i guess that should get fixed sometime in the updates...do the rest of you still see ubuntu 13.10 on the log in splash page?
    I guess that will also get fixed sooner or later...

Seems pretty solid and reliable...i see improvements in sound (i understand that is a result of the latest kernel from what i read) and things seem to move very quick...like web browsing, transferring files, etc...
    Also, memory usage seems to be down too...i seem to be using less ram then i did in 13.10...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Ubuntu might - we're trying to get a bunch of new stuff in
    Hopefully you're not too ambitious. Some of us have to support this .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dnewkirk2 View Post
    Hopefully you're not too ambitious. Some of us have to support this .
    Not too ambitious - it's all on the roadmap or rodmap whichever way you might think of it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

By the way...now Mark Shuttleworth is talking about rolling release again starting at either 14.10 or 15.04 when the "convergence" takes place...

Once we’ve converged those, there’s a question about whether the six-month release cycles make as much sense. Phone and tablet users are used to the idea that the phone just updates itself whenever, so maybe we’ll soften up on the six-month thing and release updates all the time.

Read whole article here:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/intervie...eyond-desktops
    Last edited by craig10x; December 31st, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Beans

By the way...now Mark Shuttleworth is talking about rolling release again starting at either 14.10 or 15.04 when the "convergence" takes place...

Once we’ve converged those, there’s a question about whether the six-month release cycles make as much sense. Phone and tablet users are used to the idea that the phone just updates itself whenever, so maybe we’ll soften up on the six-month thing and release updates all the time.

Read whole article here:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/intervie...eyond-desktops
    Reading the comments is downright painful, gordonlittle is indeed LITTLE!

SABDFL has done a hell of a lot for the FOSS community!

But this probably belongs around the water cooler

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast