Thread: HP ZE4900 Internet Slow (Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+)

Beans

HP ZE4900 Internet Slow (Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+)

Hi all, trying to help a friend who has an ancient HP ZE4900 Laptop. XP was dire, so, I suggested Linux and to my surprise he said Okay. I tried quite a few different distros but the lack of PAE on the CPU limited me and in the end the only one that installed was Lubuntu: lubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386 to be exact.

Everything appears to have installed correctly and as far as I know the drivers for the network codec: RTL8139/81/8139C/8139C+ installed okay too. I went to the Realtek site to check for driver updates but I think the latest drivers were built into the kernel.

The memory for the system is only 384MB but everything else seems to run pretty well.

Downloads are quick; I have orange 38MB Fibre and downloaded Firefox in seconds, I considered it might be the chromium browser. Ok installed Firefox and it is much faster, so I have to assume the Chromium browser is duff, I'll try few more...

Beans

Re: HP ZE4900 Internet Angonisingly Slow (Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+)

Definitely the browser, installed Konqueror with a few add-ons and its much quicker, Firefox is a close second. So I've removed Chromium Web Browser and will stick with Firefox and Konqueror, might try Swiftfox too later on.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: HP ZE4900 Internet Angonisingly Slow (Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+)

Hi, welcome to the fora.

10.04 is a security hazard and should not be used any more.

Here's some options for dealing with the PAE problem. Installing Bodhi Linux is probably the easiest solution.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts