Thread: Canon MX890 printer, wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Canon MX890 printer, wireless

Our office uses a Canon MX890 multi-function printer. It is connected directly to one ******* computer and available to other computers through our office wireless network. I would like to know if there is a standard procedure to get my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop to access this printer. The laptop is connected through this same wifi network. I have the original install CD. I need only the "print" function on the Ubuntu laptop, so I would not need the Canon "dashboard" to access all its other functions.
    Last edited by riverguy99; December 28th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

Re: Configuring wireless printer

Why don't you check out turboprint. This is a german company that makes a very good software package. You can try it free. If you buy, it is ~$30.00 US. I've been using it on my MX512 and earlier on a MX860 wireless for 3 years. It works great. There are not a lot of other options to run on Ubuntu.

DonaldT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanx for the tip! I checked out their Web site and there is no mention of being able to set up the printer as wifi. I have no clue how these things work, but as long as the drivers are installed on the print server, do they also need to be installed on wifi-access computers? Like can't the Ubuntu wifi laptop just talk to the print server (the desktop that's directly connected to the printer) and get it to apply the drivers?

I don't understand everything I know about this stuff . . .

Beans

This is what I used to setup my wireless printer. Took me about 1 min.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you! I'll give it a go!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not familiar with your Canon printer. Can you use the USB connection and one network connection at the same time? If so, I find it pretty easy to configure wireless connections in Ubuntu. I use Gnome-shell but find the print app wanting, I think Unity uses the same wanting print. I download 'system-config-printer' (I think). That is the printer app used in Xubuntu, Lubuntu and I think Mint. I find it much more informative and flexible. There are typically a few wireless connection options available. I've had the best luck assigning a static I.P. address to the printer then using the following device URI:
    socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100 where x=the assigned I.P. address. There may be other better choices but this has worked reliably for me.
    Last edited by kurt18947; December 28th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks everybody for your suggestions! I finally got brave enough to give it a go and decided just for laughs to try from "Settings." I clicked on SETTINGS, PRINTERS, ADD PRINTER, FIND NETWORK PRINTER, and then after about 30 seconds of processing, I got WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRINT A TEST PAGE?

I printed the page! It worked!! I am blown away!!!
    All I can say is that Ubuntu has come a long, long way in the last few years, and I'm one happy camper!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by riverguy99 View Post
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions! I finally got brave enough to give it a go and decided just for laughs to try from "Settings." I clicked on SETTINGS, PRINTERS, ADD PRINTER, FIND NETWORK PRINTER, and then after about 30 seconds of processing, I got WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRINT A TEST PAGE?

I printed the page! It worked!! I am blown away!!!
    All I can say is that Ubuntu has come a long, long way in the last few years, and I'm one happy camper!
    LOL I'm hurt. It took me 1min.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please mark as solved by going to thread tools.
    -Jonathan