Thread: HDD problems

Beans

HDD problems

Hi all, I have recently developed a problem, making my HDD unreadable. It all started when one of my laptops DC port broke, as it was going to be a while before I fixed it I went and bought a 2.5'' external enclosure with the intent of using the drive as a boot drive on an identical laptop (Acer 5332 if anyones interested). Everything was working fine, I was using the external drive with ubuntu on and then the next day when I try to boot from it I get this just after the bios screen:
    error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.
    error: terminal 'gfxterm' isn't found.

As there are some recent pictures on the drive that I hadn't recently backed-up I then changed the boot order and boot windows 7 on the other HDD. When I plugged in the external drive the drivers installed but the drive was not recognised in windows so I done some googleing and tryed to assign a drive letter in disk management but I couldn't, apparently as linux file systems are different as I later found out. Getting desperate now I found my ubuntu usb, installed ubuntu to a 500gb 3.5'' HDD and tryed to access the drive, listed as 157GB filesystem and got the error:
    Unable to mount 157GB filesystem
    Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

I am at a loss now, all I need to do is access the files on the drive to copy them to usb. Can anyone help ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Harvey.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HDD problems

Quote Originally Posted by harvey.barnett View Post
    Hi all, I have recently developed a problem, making my HDD unreadable. It all started when one of my laptops DC port broke, as it was going to be a while before I fixed it I went and bought a 2.5'' external enclosure with the intent of using the drive as a boot drive on an identical laptop (Acer 5332 if anyones interested). Everything was working fine, I was using the external drive with ubuntu on and then the next day when I try to boot from it I get this just after the bios screen:
    error: terminal 'gfxterm' isn't found.

As there are some recent pictures on the drive that I hadn't recently backed-up I then changed the boot order and boot windows 7 on the other HDD. When I plugged in the external drive the drivers installed but the drive was not recognised in windows so I done some googleing and tryed to assign a drive letter in disk management but I couldn't, apparently as linux file systems are different as I later found out. Getting desperate now I found my ubuntu usb, installed ubuntu to a 500gb 3.5'' HDD and tryed to access the drive, listed as 157GB filesystem and got the error:
    Unable to mount 157GB filesystem
    Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

I am at a loss now, all I need to do is access the files on the drive to copy them to usb. Can anyone help ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Harvey.
    The first error is because of grub - normally, grub denotes your first HDD as hd0, then hd1, and so on. Grub, as a result, thinks this is still an internal drive and boots from that laptop's internal drive instead of the external one where the Ubuntu install is.

For the second error, can you post the output of the Boot Info Script?
    Code:
    wget http://softlayer-ams.dl.sourceforge.net/project/bootinfoscript/bootinfoscript/0.61/bootinfoscript-061.tar.gz
    tar xvf bootinfoscript-061.tar.gz
    ./bootinfoscript
    Thanks.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff || SandyDNET
    Twitter: @CatchesAStar | Last.fm
    So don't be ashamed to wear your crown, you're a king you're a queen inside and out

Beans

hi

1.-Try boot from live DVD or USB ,then run sudo e2fsck /dev/root_partition.After that check if the issue was resolved.
    2.- have u tried use boot-rapair ?? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

3.-most of the linux-users redirect to this link bcs this helped them to resolve the issue same like u. may be it can help u
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ng-vfs-919143/

thanks.

Beans

The first error still occurs when only the drive is inside the laptop. I am just trying the boot repair now and if that doesn't work I'll post the Boot Info Script and then try to run sudo e2fsck /dev/root_partition. Thanks for the quick replies guys