Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Beans

Re: Its official. Linux IS the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The gist of your complain seems to boil down to boot times. Twenty-eight seconds doesn't seem to me to be a overly-long boot time. Boot times vary, in any case. A configurable delay is often built in to a Linux boot sequence to allow time for the user to interrupt that process.
    On that spec machine with a SSD 28 sec seems really slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Win 7 does boot fast to the desktop. But it then takes ages for firefox to appear after clicking its icon. Disk light keeps on flickering for ages.
    Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_-JA-ua90

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Its official. Linux IS the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    On that spec machine with a SSD 28 sec seems really slow.
    Sometimes I wonder about SSD's. I have a machine that boots off SSD. I've never noticed any dramatic boot time change.

Besides the grub timeout that's often hidden in distros by plymouth, if a DHCP link is negotiated before the desktop comes up, the time it takes to negotiate that lease (some ISP's are slow) will increase the *apparent* boot time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Oh... that is soooo kewel.

I've always noticed that about Windows, but it's cool to see it actually demonstrated. I have never gotten anyone (Windows or Linux and no matter their expertise) who could explain to me why this happens and why Windows progressively devours HDD space -- just vague generalities. Not that I really need to know... but something I've notivced.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Neat.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend reboot suspend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jonor View Post
    Suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend suspend reboot suspend.
    That's exactly what I do with my machines (minus my server and the VMs running on it).

I think the only time I reboot my Windows box is to apply updates. Same with the box I have running Fedora and Ubuntu. Kernel updates are awesome, aren't they?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"First Cup of Ubuntu"
    "Join Date: Dec. 2013"
    "Beans: 0"

So... you made an account on here to tell us all of this?

Also, Linux is Open-Source after all, so you could always learn a programming language or two and help fix bugs to make the operating system(s) run faster rather than bitching about it to us, who clearly don't share the same view as you do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windoze may or may not be faster to boot but this seems rather a minor point when you consider the endless hours you may have to spend once the machine becomes infected with Windows viruses or malware which has never been an issue for me with Linux
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans

I just installed Ubuntu 13.10 on a computer for a friend I work with. I have fixed this guys Windows 7 install several times now, his complaints were mostly about the computer being ridiculously slow. The computer really was slow, it took forever for the desktop to finish loading and application launch time was pretty bad too. The computer is an HP with a 2.2 GHz Celeron processor, 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 GB SATA hard drive, Intel on-board graphics, etc. The computer should be able to run Windows 7 or Linux just fine.

Ubuntu 13.10 runs great on my friends hardware! Windows 7 ran terrible, even after a fresh install. Yeah, it booted slightly faster with Windows but it took some time before you could launch any applications. Memory use was also pretty bad with Windows, even turning off all of the junk that ran at start up did not help much. Ubuntu 13.10 used about half the memory on start up, it did take a few seconds for apps like Firefox to launch the first time but it was still less time than it took for the Windows 7 desktop to finish loading.

With Ubuntu on this guys computer it is not going to slow down over time, he is not going to have to worry about viruses and he does not have to de-fragment the hard drive. Also, he will not have a dozen applications checking for updates and slowing his computer to a crawl. Now everything comes from one repo with no stupid toolbars and unwanted junk trashing his system. Ubuntu 13.10 is not going to pester the guy for permissions to do every little thing, he just needs to put in his password to update the system.

I just do not see Windows being faster than Linux in any sense and guess which OS is going to stand the test of time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast