Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Beans

Unhappy Linux is the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Never before have I given any product the benefit of the doubt as much as I have Linux : Ubuntu 12.04, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint 1X, Puppy Linux, Knoppix ( sort of fast...in fairness) They all suck compared to Windows anything or OS anything, actually.
    It makes me very sad to think of the hundreds of hours I have spent learning about Linux over the years in the naive hope that eventually a distro or a new install would show some promise on ANY machine. That fools errand has come to an end. Just for kicks I installed puppy Linux on my 16GB memory AMD Phenom II X4 running a 256GB Solid state SATA 3 boot drive. (Boots Win 7 in about 12 seconds ) Boot time for the puppy: 28 seconds .....sorry. Methinks the Linux academe are'nt in the same league as the folks at MS and certainly should'nt be mentioned in the same breath with the folks at A##LE. Seriously, hasnt ANYONE actually tried , for example, a Ubuntu install side by side with Win7 ? with XP ??? on the same machine???
    Last edited by jsimkinsjr; December 28th, 2013 at 04:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Its official. Linux IS the slowest OS I have ever used on any machine.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request. Why not just use Windows, then? Whatever works best for you. Good luck and goodbye.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 28th, 2013 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Look at it this way, without linux Windows would have stagnated. Now they have a little competition. I admire your patience for trying all of those distros. Check back in a year and let us know if Windows is still working and still fast.
    Last edited by tgalati4; December 28th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    If its a fast boot that does it for you, by all means go for it!
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

Please dont get me wrong here. I really applaud and admire the work the open source folks have done and are doing every day. I just think , given my own experience over the years, that the products just dont run, open, boot, execute, whatever you want to call it as fast, apples to apples , as the same machine running Windows ( or a comparable one running OSX). I just cant make them run as fast and my common sense says this shouldnt be so (but is). I spent the better part of this afternoon installing Ubuntu 12.04 to my wifes older Sempron 2Ghz 1.5 GIG mem XP machine. Would I bank or do my taxes on the new Ubuntu machine....you bet. Even if it took longer to do so. I wouldnt trust the unsupported XP machine with these tasks. But dang it SHOULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND THE CLUTTERED UP-JUNKED UP- LOADED DOWN Windows machine I just blew away. I click to open the internet or click to open a document and my attention wanders it takes so long to load. Just Saying.......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Try Xubuntu on the wife's machine. I'm surprised it's as responsive as it is with Unity and a full-blown Ubuntu install on those specs. I'd personally never go there ...

Just for the record I run a minimal install with xfce4 as the DE and only the few apps I want/need on an i3 laptop with 4G RAM. Speed is not an issue here. You might also want to check what services/apps you having starting at boot. That can make a big diff to boot times depending on what's launching with the OS.

Settings>Session & Startup>Application Autostart on xfce. Not sure on Unity.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 28th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jsimkinsjr View Post
    Never before have I given any product the benefit of the doubt as much as I have Linux : Ubuntu 12.04, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint 1X, Puppy Linux, Knoppix ( sort of fast...in fairness) They all suck compared to Windows anything or OS anything, actually.
    It makes me very sad to think of the hundreds of hours I have spent learning about Linux over the years...
    And yet this is the first thread you've opened at Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Boot time isn't everything.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

It actually isnt a bad machine with Ubuntu 12.04 installed once its up and loaded. My wife has no complaints at all ( she's more patient than I am ) My practical side wants the ubuntu install to annihilate windows though and thats probably asking alot of a newer OS installled on an older PC. I'll give it some time and like you said slim down what it boots and it should be fine. Thanks .

Beans

This is wildly different from every experience I've had with these two operating system families on a huge variety of hardware over the last 10 years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast