Thread: HDD sda1 mounts but won't boot (1TB HDD, ext3, desktop)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question HDD sda1 mounts but won't boot (1TB HDD, ext3, desktop)

Greetings folks,

I'm suddenly having big problems booting my System76 Wild Dog desktop unit. When I try to boot up, all I see is text flying by, way too fast to read. This continues until I press the front-panel "reset" button.

After hitting "reset," I've plugged in a live-USB flashdrive with a bootable Ubuntu-12.04 on it, and have been booting from that. (Using this flashdrive is the only way I've been able to boot over the last few days.)

"Disk Utility" on the flashdrive's Ubuntu, when I run that utility's "SMART Data -- View SMART data and run self-tests," says that my 1-terabyte, ext3-formatted HDD has 362 bad sectors. (I don't know how serious that is or isn't.) It also has a red warning at ID #5 "Reallocated Sector Count" where at right, it shows (in red) "Normalized: 92, Worst: 92, Threshold 36, Value: 362 sectors".

When I run Disk Utility's "Check Filesystem," it reports: "File system check on '15 GB Filesystem' (Partition 1 of ATA ST31000528AS) completed. File system is clean."

When I boot with the live-USB (/dev/sdb), I can mount both the root ( / ) and /home partitions of the disk (/dev/sda), and I can open and look at the files in both those partitions. (The disk has a 15GB root partition, an 8GB swapspace partition and a /home partition that takes up the rest of the 900-some GBs on the disk. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) on this disk drive and want to get the drive to boot so I can fresh-install 12.04.3 LTS on it.)

At some point a few days ago I ran a terminal command (I forget which one) and got "The superblock could not be read" error message. So I went through the steps described here: https://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/...ock-in-ubuntu/

After running:

sudo mke2fs -n /dev/sda1

I was shown nine different superblock backup numbers, and after running

sudo e2fsck -b <backup-number> /dev/sda1

on all nine of them (9 times, same command, different #), nothing had changed.

In other words every time I tried to re-boot without the flashdrive plugged in, I saw the GRUB menu first, then, below an Ubuntu logo, a thermometer bar moves left-right, left-right for a full minute or so, then the busybox-type black screen with the white text flying by.

I have a boot-repair report here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6632700/

My question is, whether this is a superblock issue or not, how can I repair the disk so I can boot from it again?

Thanks!
    Using uh-BOON-too MAH-tay 14.04.2 on a 64-bit Wild Dog from System76. Quad core Q9650 3GHz; 8 GB ram; 1 GB PNY nVidia GeForce GTS 450; three 1-TB SATA IIs. I use Vim, not gedit, and Zsh, not bash.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help! -- HDD sda1 mounts but won't boot (1TB HDD, ext3, desktop)

Last edited by Iowan; December 28th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help! -- HDD sda1 mounts but won't boot (1TB HDD, ext3, desktop)

Moved to Hardware.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Re: HDD sda1 mounts but won't boot (1TB HDD, ext3, desktop)

I would stop trying to recover that drive and create an image (which can be done from System>Disks>copy or a bootable Acronis cd or similar) to a new HDD, boot from installation media, and do a repair install if it is offered as an option. Sounds like the bad blocks are all at beginning of the drive, which are preventing the repair. When doing a repair install go for the " I know a bit about the problem" option and choose bootloader, that will probably get you going again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for the response. I've actually decided to unplug (at least for now) the old, corrupt HDD, install a brand new identical replacement drive (just arrived today), plug the same power & data plugs that were connected to the old drive into the new one, fire up gparted and format the new drive the same as the old (15 GB root; 8 GB swap; the rest as /home).

The only change in formatting I'll make is that the old drive used the ext3 filesystem, I see no reason not to use ext4 for the new one. My Sys76 box is 4 years old but I don't think that should create any problems with using ext4. I am, however, going to leave the BIOS firmware in place, I think, and not try to mess with UEFI. (It's doubtful I'd know what I was doing by trying to make a change like that on older hardware.)

I'm putting ubuntu 12.0.4.3 onto a USB stick right now so that I can boot from that and then install it onto the new drive. (The live-USB I'm booting from now is an older 12.04; I'd prefer to install the current dot-three updated version.)

Then later, I'll move most of the files over from the old to the new.

At that point I'm a little unsure about how to connect the old one as a 2nd drive and make the old one a /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or whatever, where to go to do that (only in gparted or other places like /etc/fstab too?) and if I need to modify things like /etc/fstab entries and so on, how to make sure the two drives play nice & make it so the old one doesn't try to boot (remove its boot flag in gparted?).

askubuntu.com has been a help, also http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tick-on-ubuntu

I'm new to installing & partitioning drives & have never updated or installed an Ubuntu (or any other) OS. However, I've been reading a lot over the last few days and I'm thinking it should go okay. (I'm sure I'll be back here if it doesn't.)

At any rate, I hope this sounds like a moderately prudent course of action.
    Last edited by watchpocket; December 29th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
    Using uh-BOON-too MAH-tay 14.04.2 on a 64-bit Wild Dog from System76. Quad core Q9650 3GHz; 8 GB ram; 1 GB PNY nVidia GeForce GTS 450; three 1-TB SATA IIs. I use Vim, not gedit, and Zsh, not bash.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Replaced the drive, partitioned it, installed 12.04.3, all, amazingly, without a hitch.