Thread: Recording sound from Speakers

Beans

Recording sound from Speakers

I would like to record the sound coming out of my speakers. Using sound recorder I am able to record sound with the microphone. Is is possible to use sound recorder to record sound coming out of the speakers? I tried different imputs. Nothing has worked.

Ubuntu 12.04 64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Recording sound from Speakers

There is a Gnome applet, either sound-recorder or audio-recorder. I found sound-recorder on these Ubuntuforums board. So, I googled 'ubuntu sound-recorder' and see the same applet with both of the names I'm mentioning.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans

Audio recorder will do it. Use this ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~osmoma/+archive/audio-recorder

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Try audio-recorder, not in the standard repos but available from https://launchpad.net/~osmoma/+archi...rder/+packages which very easily lets you choose to record the sound either from your mic or from the soundcard audio-output, as shown in my screenshot..

You can do it with sound-recorder as well but it is a bit more involved; you need to start recording with the sound-recorder application, then go into pulseaudio-volume-control and choose "Monitor etc etc" (exact wording depends on your hardware, I think). Only when actually recording do you get the choice of hardware to use as the recording input with sound-recorder, but the audio-recorder package sorts all that out for you quickly.

Beans

You can do it with sound-recorder as well but it is a bit more involved; you need to start recording with the sound-recorder application, then go into pulseaudio-volume-control and choose "Monitor etc etc" (exact wording depends on your hardware, I think). Only when actually recording do you get the choice of hardware to use as the recording input with sound-recorder, but the audio-recorder package sorts all that out for you quickly.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the link. It is confusing to me. I don't have a clue on how to install it.
    Any additional assistance will be appreciated.

Record what comes out of your speakers it's a little dated, but may still work.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I appreciate the link. It is confusing to me. I don't have a clue on how to install it.
    Any additional assistance will be appreciated.
    NOTE: Audio Recorder needs pulse audio to be installed to work. The tag on your post says Lubuntu, but at the end of your post I see "Ubuntu 12.04 64". IF you are really using Lubuntu, it does not have the pulse audio package installed by default. In that case, the procedure below will also install the pulse audio sound package if it is not already present on your system. Ubuntu 12.04 already has it by default, so no problem.

Installation:

Use the terminal:
    First, add the ppa (some useful information about audio recorder is shown first):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:osmoma/audio-recorder
    Second, update the software sources:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Third, Install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install audio-recorder
    Last edited by Dennis N; December 27th, 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added information

Beans

The tag on your post says Lubuntu, but at the end of your post I see "Ubuntu 12.04 64".
    Sorry for the mistake. I have Ubuntu 12.04 64.