Thread: Preventing a boot sector virus infection

Beans

Preventing a boot sector virus infection

Hello,

My question is about boot sector viruses. Since they infect the boot sector and are loaded from the boot sector before the operating system gets loaded, they can affect all operating systems, right? This would make linux also vulnerable to boot sector viruses. What can we do to prevent this? If I make the internal hard drive the only bootable device in the BIOS and then password protect the BIOS so that the settings cannot be changed, will that protect me from boot sector virus infected media left inadvertently in the computer during shutdown or boot up? By media I mean things like DVDs, USB flash drives, floppy discs etc. Can linux get a boot sector virus infection from just regular internet web browsing? I know that windows is vulnerable to such boot sector virus infections from just browsing the internet. Is linux vulnerable too?

Beans

Re: Preventing a boot sector virus infection

SecureBoot / TrustedBoot are pretty much the defacto methods for preventing bootkits.
    sig

Beans

As far as I can make out, those two are for newer computers running microsoft windows. Mine is an older laptop and I plan to install ubuntu 12.04 on it. Can someone please respond to my original post?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Maybe this will help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_se...sector_viruses - & - it looks like someone over at the Linux Mint forums have asked the same question here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...ce3a7d8e7ad7fd & was marked as [solved].
    Need help with Ubuntu
    Please keep in mind that the ubuntuforums.org is a support forum for Ubuntu only we do not offer support for Microsoft Windows.
    Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Beans

Hello,

My BIOS does not have the option to prevent writing to the boot sector as mentioned in that wikipedia article. The linux mint forum article also does not answer my original post.

Can someone please answer the questions I raised in the first post in this thread?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you don't have the option of secure boot, you are pretty much out of luck.

With that being said, I have never seen a boot sector virus in all my time of working in IT. Regular ones, sure, but nothing that went after the boot sector itself.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

If I make the internal hard drive the only bootable device in the BIOS and then password protect the BIOS so that the settings cannot be changed, will that protect me from boot sector virus infected media left inadvertently in the computer during shutdown or boot up? By media I mean things like DVDs, USB flash drives, floppy discs etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    If I make the internal hard drive the only bootable device in the BIOS and then password protect the BIOS so that the settings cannot be changed, will that protect me from boot sector virus infected media left inadvertently in the computer during shutdown or boot up? By media I mean things like DVDs, USB flash drives, floppy discs etc.
    Yes. Unless someone resets the BIOS and changes the boot order, of course.

Physical access > all.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Stop using floppy disks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Stop using floppy disks.
    You mean I shouldn't use this as my sole backup anymore?
    Attached Images Attached Images