Thread: how to enable "boot from DVD" on A7N8X-E

Beans

how to enable "boot from DVD" on A7N8X-E

I'm sure this was the setting I had by default before the machine went into storage for a few months, but now I can't get it to work. The initial splash screen suggests TAB or Alt F2, but neither of these options gets me to the expected "boot priority" screen. Any ideas? sorry, the serial number is all I have time to scribble down before the machine carries on booting ‒ the processor is an AMD Sempron 2600, if that's any help.
    Last edited by engine; December 26th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: how to enable "boot from DVD" on A7N8X-E

I think I had the same ASUS mobo until about 9 months ago when it all died on me, and from what I remember it was a case of pressing Del to get into the BIOS and in that setting the CD/DVD drive as boot priority, as I could not press any button to alter boot priority on the fly.

After that, if a bootable CD or DVD was in the drive it would boot to that, if not it booted straight to the hard disk.

Beans

Maybe F8 key or F5 or F2 or esc.

Usualy this is F8 key to see boot priority menu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Slightly off topic: The motherboard is old. When you mention booting from DVD I assume you are aiming for Ubuntu, which will not be a pleasant surprise.

Installing Lubuntu 13.10 from a CD is a better choice.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Slightly off topic: The motherboard is old. When you mention booting from DVD I assume you are aiming for Ubuntu, which will not be a pleasant surprise.

Installing Lubuntu 13.10 from a CD is a better choice.
    A very good point !

The same mobo on my machine with a sempron 2400+ would not even run unity, so I changed to Xubuntu or Lubuntu for a much better outcome.

Beans

I have the same mobo in use, just press "del" like said before. You can set the boot order in the second menu from the left IIRC.

Installed Kubuntu 13.04 on it BTW after trying Xubuntu, Lubuntu & Ubuntu. Surprisingly it runs very well with 1GB Ram and an ATI 9800pro.

Beans

Thanks for all the help ‒ I tracked down the boot order settings, which had probably fallen off the cmos after so long without being powered up, and I'm already amazed by how fast a lubuntu remix from Linux Format is running even from DVD. Way to go, and I've already been happy with lubuntu on a netbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.