Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on an ultrabook...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Thoughts on an ultrabook...

Here's the thing... I would like to buy an ultrabook to be more mobile. I have an eye on one model Fujitsu U772. It has an Intel HD Graphics chip, should also have (I'm still clarifying this with the retailer) an Intel Centrino WiFi chip. With my current laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon and Broadcom Wifi) I still have serious issues with the WiFi and the video controller, so I'm particularly picky with that. Intel seems to have probably the best support in the Linux kernel, if I'm not wrong. So my question is in general... what do you guys think? It would be great if anyone has ever used such a model with Linux. I particularly like the build quality on Fujitsu laptops. It has always been a high class. My corporate laptops have always been Fujitsu and I've never had any issues running Linux on them too...
    I found though... some mixed reviews on the U772, so I'm a bit... uncertain whether the investments is worth it. After all, this ultrabook is not cheap But if I would have seamless Linux experience on it.. I would buy it...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thoughts on an ultrabook...

Thank you mips It sounds good. I've also stumbled upon the second link, hopefully the issue has been resolved with the new kernels.

Beans

What do you plan to use it for? Have you considered a chromebook with native ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mostly as a kind of a thin client. I plan to leave my old bulky and heavy laptop at home and use that ultrabook for connecting to the resources I have there. So far I've been using my company laptop for the purpose. But it's also heavy and bulky and I don't enjoy carrying it on always with me.
    Chromebooks look nice, but I didn't know they could run Ubuntu without any issues. Do they? I've stumbled upon on lots of posts where people complain they can not run Ubuntu on their chromebooks.. Otherwise the chromebook is an option quite an attractive one too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm pretty happy with my Asus Vivobook running Ubuntu. It's ultrabook-class. I've always preferred portables, though, and not much minded the performance cut.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Yeah me too, the performance drop isn't that much either these days. I'm running 12.04 on an alienware m17 at home, then when I'm out at work and stuff have the same OS on an acer aspire netbook. Both run really well and have no hardware problems from the start

Beans

The chromebooks do tend to run ubuntu very well and very easily either natively or via chroot. Alot of the problems (ive seen them too) tend to come from the arm variants. I got mine for the same reason as you leave the big laptop on the desk and use this to connect to shh's, write documents and do small stuff.

I have the c720 which has an intel processors and it runs ubuntu 13.10 very well (just for a quick test when installed natively i get around 70 fps on minecraft ). But yea they are not for everyone but with worth considering, if you want something that is very fast for small stuff, light and has amazing battery life (when using mine for creating documents, latex or libre office, i get around 8 - 9 hours when watching videos and listening to music I get around 6).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Asus Vivobook... wow and the price looks sweet! Could you share a bit more specs, I saw one in a local retail store Asus VivoBook S300CA-C1. It has Intel HD Graphics and a dual core Intel processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This Acer model looks quite new and interesting... sadly I can not find it in any local stores

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast