Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to new 13.10 really makes me sad

Hybrid View

Beans

Upgrade to new 13.10 really makes me sad

After working with Ubuntu for many years now on several computers, I really could recommend it as a great replacement for the "common", most sold operating systems.

My newly installed 13.10 lets my hair get gray, I cannot recommend this system to my colleagues any more, because it really changed it's behavior - but not get better. It is not easy to change over from ie Windows.

- Nautilus:
    . Status bar has disappeard. How can I _easily_ find out, how much space is left on my disk or on my SD-card?
    . Simply starting to type in a directory now starts a "long"-lasting search in all subfolders. I am used to start typing the first three characters and immediately push Enter to change the directory or open a file. Now I have to wait a second the search has started/finished.
    . I cannot find, how to set a bookmark on a local directory. This only seems to be possible on connected/mounted external shares like ssh or smb-connections.
    . In the past I could click to a directory and "Open with...." a program like VLC. This possibility totally has disappeared.
    . Backspace in Nautilus does not go up one directory any more. I have to hack config-files to reenable this most common shortcut in all systems. (gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ShellActions/Up" "BackSpace")

- Restart:
    . When I select "Restart" from the menu appearing from the upper right gear and press Enter to restart, the computer shuts down, because Shutdown is selected by default, instead of Restart.

- Removing that music-search-stuff
    Horribly complicated to remove all that ad-stuff. My dash was so slow and unusable with all that enabled. I understand that there is a need to earn money, but this really was a pain.

It does not seem, anyone really has tested this system. And it seems, some managers without any idea how to work on a computer have decided, how the system should behave.
    Why did this all change after all?

GaXi ;(

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Upgrade to new 13.10 really makes me sad

The Ubuntu+1 forum is for the development version (currently 14.04) and this thread sounds more like a discussion thread than a request for help. Therefore...

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

To remove the amazon ad stuff, all you had to do was go to privacy section of system settings and hit the off button for online searches, then all you get in the search is the stuff on your system...takes 5 seconds to do...what is complicated about that?

I didn't like it either because i don't like the clutter so i turned mine off...but if not for that, i would have left it on since canonical gets some revenue from it to help development...so instead i send them an occasional donation...

Certainly, Unity isn't difficult to use...it is just a dock, really...lots of windows users convert to mac and that uses a dock and you don't find them complaining that it is difficult to use...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Horribly complicated to remove all that ad-stuff. My dash was so slow and unusable with all that enabled. I understand that there is a need to earn money, but this really was a pain.
    Open dash one time, type privacy click enter find online results in search tab turn off.
    Not that complicated.
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 26th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thank you, I could not find this information on the web.
    So, to disable Amazon and music search, go to System Settings/Security and Privacy/Search and set "Include online search results" to off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaxi View Post
    Thank you, I could not find this information on the web.
    So, to disable Amazon and music search, go to System Settings/Security and Privacy/Search and set "Include online search results" to off.
    That will disable all online searches (if that's what you want..

Otherwise you can do many on an individual basis, takes a min or so
    Open Dash > Applications
    Expand the "Filter results", enable "Dash plugins"

In the Dash plugins results -
    Starting with the 1st one, left click on
    From there you can disable or enable that scope
    Using the > you can go thru all listed & disable the ones you don't want

(you can also blacklist scopes in gsettings but the above usually suffices
    Last edited by mc4man; December 27th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

Well, everything you dislike about the new nautilus is the result of upstream changes by gnome, which has nothing to do with Canonical.
    There is a recent thread on this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2191936

You can restore some old behaviour of Nautilus with a ppa
    https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/sacy-tests

Or you may try to replace it with nemo
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/insta...tches-and.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    This thread was moved from the ubuntu +1 area as not a dev topic but acutally 13.10 is part of the development stream as not LTS. I would save my complaints until the 14.04LTS is released. That being said Nautilus has been default in every Ubuntu version that I have ever used and it hasn't been a problem. Microsoft was and remains the champion of crappy utilities. Back in the old days DR Dos had single pass disk copy long before MS DOS picked it up in version 6 and it only begins there. Nautilus isn't Ubuntu, it is a utility which defaults in Ubuntu. It is actually part of the 80% of the Ubuntu install that is NOT Ubuntu. Regarding the Shut Down defaulting to Restart, I agree that the Windows users will be perplexed at the need to make a choice. In addition I find it interesting that these complaint threads often claim to represent the need of every Windows user that will ever try Linux. My guess is that most will take it the way they find it and think it's normal.

PS. Please don't take my first sentence as a challenge as to the moving of this thread. I was only making the point that 13.10 went final as an incomplete set of objectives. It will not become 14.04LTS even with updates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Both the Gnome developers with Gnome 3 desktop environment and Gnome 3 shell and the UBuntu developers with the Unity user interface have been on this path for about two years. I cannot understand how some people are surprised at the changes being made. Ubuntu 13.10 is not that much different in looks from Ubuntu 12.04. And, as has, already been pointed out a lot of the differences are do to changes being put through by upstream developers. But people criticise Ubuntu because it no longer looks similar to an old Microsoft OS.

And this is a completely uninformed false accusation that is an insult to all those who develop Linux and often do it in their own time and without pay.

It does not seem, anyone really has tested this system. And it seems, some managers without any idea how to work on a computer have decided, how the system should behave.
    Why did this all change after all?
    Some people just do not deserve Linux. A link to Usability Testing of Ubuntu.

http://design.canonical.com/2012/03/...ng-recruiting/
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 26th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

It may technically be a U-turn but after the third attempt at installing a stable 13.10 i reverted to 12.04
    which as a relative newcomer i had never tried and was surprisingly impressed with it.
    Your colleagues may like the idea of being able to stick with it for several more years rather than just a few months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast