Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LinUX-native office and Bible-manager packages compatible with OpenLP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post LinUX-native office and Bible-manager packages compatible with OpenLP?

I am dissatisfied with the Unity™ window manager and LibreOffice® business software packages for Ubuntu® 12.04.4-LTS Precise Pagolin™ for a projection-system project and already have plans to restart development using a new subrelease, probably Ubuntu® GNOME® 14.04.1-LTS Trusty Tahr™ as released to market. This project in behalf of the OMS® Japanese Christian Church must distract neither the end-viewers, both Members and otherwise, with a second desktop launcher on the projector (as I found to be the case with Unity™); nor the Operator with a task-launcher pop-up (as I found to be the case with LibreOffice®). The project is to be deployed on an eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 upgraded with a 500W Shuttle® power supply and an Asus® EN210/DI/512MD3 video display adapter.

Known vulnerabilities in all Releases of Microsoft® Windows® 6-up (viz., Vista™ 6.0.600x, Se7en™ 7.0.800x, 8ight™ 8.0.10000 and 8.1.10600, Server 2008 6.0.600x and 6.1.760x, and Server 2012 6.2.9200 and 6.3.9600) contraindicate Ubuntu® Christian Edition™ for the mission, as targeted malware could compromise this system by leveraging compatibility libraries in Wine™. I do, however, anticipate needing native LinUX support for Crosswire® e-SWORD™ for Bibles in multiple languages. Deployment of this system will be contingent on availability of e-SWORD™ releases for the following texts:

Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. Stuttgart: Deutſche Bibelgeſellſchaft, 1997. (Pending release of the Biblia Hebraica Quinta as completed.)

New Testament, Aramaic Peshitta Text with a Hebrew Translation. Yerushalay'm: Aramaic Scriptures Research Society in Israel, 1986.
    (This is needed for hard reference for the Gospels of Sts. Mark, Matthew, and John, all of which were originally sourced in Aramaic.)

Novum Testamentum Graece, 28th Edition. Stuttgart: Deutſche Bibelgeſellſchaft, 2012.
    (This is needed for hard reference for the New Testament except the Gospels of Sts. Mark, Matthew and John.)

New Interconfessional Translation of the Bible (新共同訳聖書). Tōkyō: Japan Bible Society, 1987. (Fallback: New Revised Version of the Bible (新改訳聖書). Tōkyō: Bible Society of Japan, 1970.)

The Amplified Bible. 1965; Grand Rapids, MI, USA: Zondervan Corporation, 1987.
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 27th, 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: snipped unneeded links
    Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP / AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    Audio: Creative Laboratoies SB0350 (PCI)
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 3200 (planar)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: LinUX-native office and Bible-manager packages compatible with OpenLP?

Is there a support request in there somewhere?
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro

Specifically, what Bible-manager and office-productivity packages will not interfere with OpenLP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You would probably have better luck by asking the folks at OpenLP:
    http://openlp.org/en/support
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you don't like Wine and the possible exposure to MS-based vulnerabilities, check out Xiphos from Crosswire. It comes in an Ubuntu-friendly version.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: LinUX-native office and Bible-manager packages compatible with OpenLP?

The OpenLP Forums search directed me to Bible Technologies LLP, which has some information on an Open Scripture Information Standard. Troublingly, American Bible Society is in the process of shutting down ForMinistry.com and I barely managed to find and download a copy of the OSIS 2.1.1 draft specification.

It does appear, fortunately, that Crosswire® does have specific libraries for SWORD™ 1.7 available for download; Launchpad™ already has SWORD™ 1.6.2, along with Xiphos™ 3.1.5, in the Ubuntu® Universe repositories, as of 27 December 2013.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    I do, however, anticipate needing native LinUX support for Crosswire® e-SWORD™
    There is no such critter as Crosswire® e-SWORD™.

There is e-Sword, which is a closed source program that has a native version for iOS, and Windows, and arguably Windows Mobile 6.5, albeit development on that version ceased 3 years ago. Roughly 10% of e-Sword 10.2 functionality is not available, when run under WINE.

There is The Crosswire Bible Society, which has native front ends for about a dozen operating systems currently in use, and has ceased development on about a dozen obsolete operating system.

Deployment of this system will be contingent on availability of e-SWORD™ releases for the following texts:
    If you want resources for e-Sword, you need to either talk to Rick Meyers, the developer of e-Sword, or Josh Bond, webmaster of BibleSupport.com, which is the largest collection of legally distributed resources for e-Sword on the net.

If you are requesting those resources for use with the front ends supported by The Crosswire Bible Society, discuss it on the Sword Project Developer's Mailing List.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    I barely managed to find and download a copy of the OSIS 2.1.1 draft specification.
    That version contained a number of errors and ommisions. It also is out of date.
    The current version is either on the Crosswire site, or the site of one of the Bible Translation Societies that they work with.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: LinUX-native office and Bible-manager packages compatible with OpenLP?

Apparently OSIS™ 2.1.1, which dates from 2006, is the current release. Following a link from BibleTechnologies.net gave me a problem: BibleTechnologiesWG.org has a blank page /osis/docs with no information - apparently the BibleTechnologiesWG.org Website is being torn down, judging from what I can read of its source code. Additionally, I found that the E-Sword.net Website mentions nothing about system requirements for Release 10.2.1, although Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional, XP, and/or 6-up can be inferred from the downloadable Binary /files/setup1021.exe at /downloads.html.

At least Crosswire® has GNU® GZip™ tape-archive downloads for the SWORD source code at /ftpmirror/pub/sword/source, which covers all Releases 1.x.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: LinUX-native office and Bible-manager packages compatible with OpenLP?

Update: In UbuntuGNOME™ 13.12a1, I found the LibreOffice™ installation better behaved than in Ubuntu® 12.04.4-LTS (presumably the same will hold true at RTM of 14.04-LTS), and Canonical® maintains a complete related set of BiblEdit packages in the Multiverse repository. Preliminary plan is to test Xiphos™, a LinUX-native Bible reader, with OpenLP®. The X.org Nouveau server (package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau) in 13.12a1 also handles the nVIDIA® GT218 GPU better than I found the case in 12.04.4-LTS. Will report back once programming in OpenLP® is completed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast