Thread: Wordwrap toggle not functioning in less

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wordwrap toggle not functioning in less

Has anyone noticed that the wordwrap is not functioning in the Ubuntu 13.10 version of less?

The following gives me the same type of listings without chopped lines:

Code:
    $ less -S /var/log/syslog
    $ less /var/log/syslog
    While using both I tried as per the manual to toggle chopping lines using the man page description:

Code:
    -S or --chop-long-lines
                  Causes  lines longer than the screen width to be chopped (truncated) rather than wrapped.  That is, the portion of
                  a long line that does not fit in the screen width is not shown.  The default is to wrap long lines; that is,  dis‐
                  play the remainder on the next line.
    Having this toggle functionality is a great convenience. Hopefully someone can help me to identify if something has changed where there might be a different way to enable this functionality.

If it's a glitch in the current version and there is a patch on the developers repository, can someone please share.

Thanks!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apololo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wordwrap toggle not functioning in less

Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the wordwrap is not functioning in the Ubuntu 13.10 version of less?

The following gives me the same type of listings without chopped lines:

Code:
    $ less -S /var/log/syslog
    $ less /var/log/syslog
    While using both I tried as per the manual to toggle chopping lines using the man page description:

Code:
    -S or --chop-long-lines
                  Causes  lines longer than the screen width to be chopped (truncated) rather than wrapped.  That is, the portion of
                  a long line that does not fit in the screen width is not shown.  The default is to wrap long lines; that is,  dis‐
                  play the remainder on the next line.
    Having this toggle functionality is a great convenience. Hopefully someone can help me to identify if something has changed where there might be a different way to enable this functionality.

If it's a glitch in the current version and there is a patch on the developers repository, can someone please share.

Thanks!
    For anyone having a problem with LESS or another other linux tool who might discover this thread, I'm sharing the resolution:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...3/#post5087452

I would like to thank anyone who read this thread and powdered possible culprits.

Hope someone would benefit from this experience.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames