Thread: test if vga port is working

Beans

test if vga port is working

Hi I have an old Toshiba A20 satelite laptop that running Lubuntu 12.04 32bit quite well. The vga port does not seem to work. I have a monitor that does work with Ubuntu on another laptop with vga port. On Lubuntu, the monitor says "no signal found". Let me know what info and cli codes you need to help me. I think that it might be hardware problem, but maybe Lubuntu just needs more software. No Additional drivers are on this Laptop and it does not detect the monitor. Thank you, Colin

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: test if vga port is working

12.04 is out of support. First of all you should install 13.10.

Does any of the Fn-keys switch the VGA port on and off?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Is not 12.04 LTS? Laptop is not liking the upgrade to 12.10, might work on it when I have time. Have not tried Fn keys since I thought that the VGA port would work with a cable plugged in. Tried Fn F5 and it worked. VGA port is working now. I only seem to have mirrored screens right now, and Display Setting window only detecting default monitor. Any way to have the Ubuntu type of display settings with the options to change what is on the second monitor? Thanks for the Fn idea. Colin.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

There's no LTS for Lubuntu, so you are vulnerable to an attack now, and 12.04 wasn't a good release to begin with.
    When you have 13.10 running (in a fresh install) we can take a look at the double monitor problem.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

I will mark this as solved, and open a a new post in the future. Thank you for your help. Colin