Thread: Ubuntu Studio Standard or LTS for Professional DJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu Studio Standard or LTS for Professional DJ

Hi All,

I would like to know which version of Ubuntu Studio 32-bit is recommended for Professional Live DJ'ing on events.
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 (standard release) or Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS ?

My primary requirement is stability. Is the 12.04 LTS version more stable than 13.10 standard? Or both are the same?
    When I mix live, the last thing I want is a crash in front of a live audience. As long as Mixxx v1.11 x32 runs stable, I would be happy.

Thank you for any input.

Beans

Cool Re: Ubuntu Studio Standard or LTS for Professional DJ

According to the main site, "Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is a long-term support release. It has continuous hardware support improvements as well as guaranteed security and support updates until April 2017." LTS is always therefore, more stable than their Beta versions as they are still in TESTing Mode relying on feedback of the community as to problems needing to be solved.

Good Luck in your DJ experience. Dance On ! ! !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Ubuntu Studio Standard or LTS for Professional DJ

Hello,

I've been using Ubuntu one way or the other since 5.10. Usually I find the regular releases stable enough for day to day usage. Occasionally things do break after an update so you need to tweak the configuration or wait till some bug gets fixed. But IMHO that doesn't happen too often.

LTS makes most sense if you want to change the system as little as possible for a long time. Because LTS doesn't necessarily mean less bugs. Only critical bugfixes and security fixes are backported to LTS releases, I think. It just means that software versions are frozen for a long period of time so that updates can't break any configuration. This makes much sense on servers which is why I prefer Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable there and use more up-to-date distros on my desktop machines.

Best, Dennis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If everything you need is in 12.04 and working I would go for the LTS version. However if you need a newer version of an applications which is available in 13.10, you should be fine with that as well. The next LTS 14.04 is due in April so my personal choice would be to run 13.10 for a few months and then upgrade to the new LTS version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    If everything you need is in 12.04 and working I would go for the LTS version. However if you need a newer version of an applications which is available in 13.10, you should be fine with that as well. The next LTS 14.04 is due in April so my personal choice would be to run 13.10 for a few months and then upgrade to the new LTS version.
    +1 to Cub,

There is no major problems with 13.10, Other than the Volume Control issue that has been mentioned by many !

Till April, 13.10 can serve you. You will get a feel of the newer versions of what DJ softwares using, I am thinking Mixxx, but there my knowledge is limited.

Suggest give 13.10 a spin, if there are no major problems, stick with it till Apr. 2014!
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulűk, agh 'Buntu-ishi krimpatul
    !