Thread: Syncing Large File Kills my Home Network

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Syncing Large File Kills my Home Network

Yet another issue where I'm not sure where it fits. Since I first noticed it while using Ubuntu 1, I'll post it here.

I'm having a new issue when trying to sync (upload) a large file (364 MB) to my Ubuntu 1 account. When ever the program tries to sync the file, internet connectivity is lost to all computers on my home network. This occurs when using either Ubuntu 1 or Dropbox accounts. Once I "pause" syncing, all connectivity is restored. Both accounts have well over 3 GIG available space remaining. Smaller files such as pictures seem to sync without an issue on both programs. This seems like a possible issue with my router, but I'm not sure, and don't know where to begin trouble shooting this one.

I'm currently running a fully updated and current Ubuntu 12.04 and the latest version of Ubuntu 1 as far as I know. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; December 24th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Syncing Large File Kills my Home Network

It's an Ubuntu thing and not really an Ubuntu One thing, I have noticed this when getting something from torrents. My network just dies, my wife does not have this problem when doing the same thing on Windows but anytime I do it netflix on all the roku's crash due to lack of internet connection. I know it is not my connection since I have 40 MB internet connection. The only I found to remedy this was I just put in a new router and it has the dual band. I have my computers hooked to one network name and I have the Roku's hooked to the other network name. Wish I could better assist, on a up side at least your Ubuntu machine is making is presence of priority on your network known.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald