Thread: Where is firefox installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Where is firefox installed?

In which directory is firefox installed? I tried /usr/bin but I cannot find the firefox.. I tried looking inside the /home/.mozilla folder but that's just got user profiles, surely it must be installed somewhere as I am using it ;P

Beans

Re: Where is firefox installed?

What did you see when you typed whereis firefox in a terminal and pressed enter?
    For more verbose output, try locate firefox.

And you can use man whereis and man locate to know more about these commands before running them. Also, just for completeness, you should run sudo apt-get update so that the database locate looks at is updated.
    Last edited by vasa1; December 23rd, 2013 at 04:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where is firefox installed?

That's a really useful and cool command thanks, but it's installed fairly complex it appears, rather than a single folder.
    I've just download Firefox "Aurora" from Mozilla's website, it and it's all contained in one folder, I'm trying to find where regular firefox is so that I can replace it with this Aurora folder, is there a simple way to install Aurora?

it says it's installed in
    /usr/bin/firefox
    /etc/firefox
    /usr/lib/firefox
    /usr/bin/X11/firefox
    /usr/share/firefox
    /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz

I really just thought I could find a folder /usr/bin/firefox and replace the contents with that of this aurora package.

Edit**
    I found three commands that make life a lot easier, I wish Mozilla would list these commands instead of giving a direct link to a package and no information on what to do with the package lol..

but here it is if anyone else needs
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    Last edited by davethewave83; December 23rd, 2013 at 04:38 AM.