Thread: Getting Weird sudo errors in console. Probably lost root priviledges totally

Beans

Exclamation Getting Weird sudo errors in console. Probably lost root priviledges totally

Last thing that changed in my system was I installed AVG antivirus to scan an effected Hard drive.
    And I didn't even notice it then. After uninstalling AVG i got a few weird log messages in the console which I ignored for the timebeing.

sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-gui is mode 0755, should be 0440
    sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-main is mode 0755, should be 0440
    sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-settings is mode 0755, should be 0440
    sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-updatedaemon is mode 0755, should be 0440

I also installed the avg gui application from this link
    http://forums.avg.com/in-en/avg-foru...show&id=234645

and then uninstalled it as well...

This is after uninstalling the avg. I get this same exact message everytime I sudo any command. I am trying to install multisystem and am not able to install it as it says that I am not root user even though I am using sudo with it.
    Last edited by dreadkit.kat; December 23rd, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Getting Weird sudo errors in console. Probably lost root priviledges totally

It looks like something went wrong during the uninstallation process.

You should be able to use pkexec to run commands as root and fix the file permissions:
    Code:
    pkexec chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers.d/avg-gui
    pkexec chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers.d/avg-main
    Or if you are sure that the package is no longer installed, then you can remove the files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Getting Weird sudo errors in console. Probably lost root priviledges totally

Quote Originally Posted by dreadkit.kat View Post
    Last thing that changed in my system was I installed AVG antivirus to scan an effected Hard drive.
    And I didn't even notice it then. After uninstalling AVG i got a few weird log messages in the console which I ignored for the timebeing.

sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-gui is mode 0755, should be 0440
    sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-main is mode 0755, should be 0440
    sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-settings is mode 0755, should be 0440
    sudo: /etc/sudoers.d/avg-updatedaemon is mode 0755, should be 0440

I also installed the avg gui application from this link
    http://forums.avg.com/in-en/avg-foru...show&id=234645

and then uninstalled it as well...

This is after uninstalling the avg. I get this same exact message everytime I sudo any command. I am trying to install multisystem and am not able to install it as it says that I am not root user even though I am using sudo with it.
    You don't say why you installed AVG. Are you dual-booting into Win/Ubuntu? Ubuntu effectively self-isolates from malware, so a 100% pure Linux system probably doesn't need it. You definitely have not "lost" root privileges. Linux doesn't work without root. Prove this to yourself by doing
    Code:
    sudo su && whoami
    Make sure you immediately
    Code:
    exit
    or you can cause even more problems. Consider uninstalling AVG and keep your distance from stuff like this. Most AV thingies today are just theatrical software. They enter stage-left, speak soothing (but ineffective) lines and then exit without doing anything useful. See what Bruce Schneider and other experts have to say about all this AV noise, then make up your mind. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by whitesmith; December 24th, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.