Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to install Ubuntu in HP mini

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is it possible to install Ubuntu in HP mini

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum as i'm new to ubuntu....
    Recently i decided to try ubuntu to see how it is.
    I'm trying to install it(12.04) in my HP Mini 210-2000(1.66 Ghz, 1Gb ram) and even to have a dual boot to choose from
    I did downloaded the iso file, i did make my USB bootable via unetbootin and changed the boot order, but when i try to actually install it, the display remains black with the cursor at the top left corner...

is it because it;s just 1gb of ram (should i place 2gb?) or it's just incompatible with the netbook???

Any help would be really appreciated...
    P.S. i did look at the Official documantations and in the forum before posting but i didn't find anything for my...case

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Is it possible to install Ubuntu in HP mini

I have a Samsung netbook with similar specifications. Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu all run fine on it although Ubuntu is a little slower than the other two.

Did you download the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO?

You'll need to 32-bit version of course (i386 in the filename, not amd64).
    Last edited by PaulW2U; December 22nd, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

of course i downloaded the 32-bit version, and thats kinda the problem, i followed the procedure step by step...
    I think for a reason (although it does sees the usb key) it doesn't run the program that is there....
    In the usb should i put ubuntu in a file with a certain name??? Or should i also put some kind of a DOS-file???
    I mean i don't want to have ubuntu in a windows partition as you can do with WUBI, but to install it in a different partition that windows won't see/recognize
    If something is not clear or more info is needed tell me about it

Beans

You shouldn't have any problems installing Ubuntu 12.04 on an HP Mini. I had it installed on mine when I owned one.

Have you tried testing the bootable USB drive on another computer just to verify it is working?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

my news so for...
    have the same problem, after i change the boot order the display goes black with the cursor at the top left corner.
    so for i have tried: ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386.iso and ubuntustudio-12.04.3-dvd-i386.iso I also tried the autodownload option from LiLi. Actually when i tried to run ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386 live in windows, it started normally but then it got stuck in the ubuntu loading screen. Any thoughts why whould that happen?
    I did try to install it to my desktop pc to see if the usb is the problem BUT it run at the first try(when i tried it thought i had and ubuntustudio-12.04.3-dvd-i386.iso in the usb, does it matter that it was the studio version???)
    Well i'm kinda lost... any advice is really welcomed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When we run the Ubuntu live session we should first of all get a purple screen with tow icons at the bottom of the screen. Do you get that purple screen? If so you can do this.

1) at the first purple screen press Enter
    2) at the language screen select the language (default is English) and press Enter.
    3) at the Try - Install Ubuntu screen press F6. A small menu will apear to the bottom right of the screen.
    4) scroll down the F6 menu and select nomodeset and press Enter
    5) press Esc to get back to the Try - Install Ubuntu screen.
    6) Try Ubuntu should be selected so press Enter.

See if the live session loads. From the live session we also get an option to install Ubuntu. There are several options in the F6 menu. We select them in the same way. We may need to experiment with a combination of options in order to get the live session loading.

By the way, the Ubuntu flavours use the same installer. It is called ubiquity. So, if we get this kind of problem it does not go away by trying a different flavour. May I give some more advice? When it comes to installing do not tick to install third party software. That will install a proprietary video driver and that may cause problems after installation and on the first reboot. We can activate a proprietary video driver after installation using the Additional Drivers utility. And we can also install that third party software from the Ubuntu Software Centre by searching for Ubuntu Restricted Extras. I put in test installs of Ubuntu and I always do things this way. Never have a problem.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 24th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

so i was able to run ubuntu live and there on the desktop was the option to install ubuntu...
    but on the second page(after i choose the language) it says that i don't have at least free 4.4gb which is not correct, i have around 100 gb free..) and it doesn't let me continue the instalation proccess from there.
    is there another way to overcome this problem or should i use this gparted partition???
    also, is space available is it possible to put more than one live program in the same USB stick/key???

P.S. the thing is that when i go to the details(in ubuntu) it does sees my hdd correct capacity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The problem with HP machines with Windows 7 is that HP has used up your full allocation of 4 primary partitions, so even if you have space on your hard drive, you cannot add any extra partitions. This is not a limitation of Ubuntu or Gparted, but of the MBR partition table. But there is a way of solving this.

With HP machines and Windows 8, you don't have the 4 primary partition limit, but you do have a UEFI BIOS and a GUID partition table which add their own complications.

First question: Is that a Windows 7 or Windows 8 HP mini?

Second question. In the Ubuntu live session, open Gparted and take a screenshot (Alt+PrtSrn) and then post the screenshot so that we can see what your partition layout is like.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    By the way, the Ubuntu flavours use the same installer. It is called ubiquity. So, if we get this kind of problem it does not go away by trying a different flavour.
    If we are talking about a graphical problem, that statement is true. If we are talking about Memory Usage, I am sure you know Xubuntu and Lubuntu both use 'less' memory than Ubuntu when it comes to Ubiquity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by charitosha View Post
    Hello everyone I'm new to this forum as i'm new to ubuntu....
    Recently i decided to try ubuntu to see how it is.
    I'm trying to install it(12.04) in my HP Mini 210-2000(1.66 Ghz, 1Gb ram) and even to have a dual boot to choose from
    I did downloaded the iso file, i did make my USB bootable via unetbootin and changed the boot order, but when i try to actually install it, the display remains black with the cursor at the top left corner...

is it because it;s just 1gb of ram (should i place 2gb?) or it's just incompatible with the netbook???

Any help would be really appreciated...
    P.S. i did look at the Official documantations and in the forum before posting but i didn't find anything for my...case
    Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums,

I have installed Xubuntu 12.04.3 on HP Mini with VIA CPU with 512MB RAM and the machine worked liked a charm.

With 1GB RAM, I strongly suggest to use different flavours either Xubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (or 13.10) or even lighter Lubuntu 13.10.

It could be a corrupted image (ISO). Have you checked: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM to the ISO you downloaded?

What version of UNetbootin are you using? I had some problems with a previous version.

While on the Live Session, what is the output of:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    You should see something similar to:

Code:
    *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 09
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:42 memory:d0000000-d03fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:3000(size=64)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast