Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cannot format USB flash driver using Gparted

Beans

Re: Cannot format USB flash driver using Gparted

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I have been doing such operations (with gparted, dd, etc) thousands times. They do not destroy the drive. They may destroy data by overwriting the partition table or (parts of) some partition, but the drive itself survives. As said before, pendrives have limited lifetime, and this one just happened to die while you were running these commands.

-o-

This is what I think; it is hard to be sure when I cannot run the different operations myself. We have to rely on verbal conversation, and we might misunderstand each other.
    Well everything was going just fine, until I used Winusb to burn Windows 8.1 to usb (1st page I wrote this) and it gave me error:

Code:
    nstallation failed !Exit code: 512
    Log:
    Formating device...
    Mounting...
    mount: block device /home/mosquito/Downloads/Windows 8.1 AIO 20in1 x64 Pre-Activated v2 Nov2013/Win81AIO-20in1-x64-en-US-Nov2013-v2.iso is write-protected, mounting read-only
    Copying...
    Installing grub...
    /usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: cannot write to `/dev/sdc': Input/output error.
    Error occured !
    Syncing...
    /usr/bin/winusb: line 78: 19428 Terminated              while true; do
        sleep 0.05; echo 'pulse';
    done
    Cleaning...
    /usr/bin/winusb: line 78: 19811 Terminated              while true; do
        sleep 0.05; echo 'pulse';
    done
    Umounting and removing '/media/winusb_iso_1387819477_11222'...
    Umounting and removing '/media/winusb_target_1387819477_11222'...

Then I tried to run same command again which I run few minutes ago and it won't work anymore:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
    again to clean the drive I still can't create new partition in Gparted, strange that it's not working now even though it worked minutes ago.

So it seems that something happened when I was burning Windows with winusb. Either way, chances of usb completely failing right at that momen without any reason are quite slim.
    Last edited by childintime; March 1st, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, there is a reason, some important memory cell is probably locked (does not respond when you want to change it). This can happen after a number of changes of the state between zero and one. See this link to a post by DuckHook in the Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you actually used this it does not work, you have to change the sdX to your drive like sdb, sdc. But be sure to use correct drive.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234