Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot format USB flash driver using Gparted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Cannot format USB flash driver using Gparted

Quote Originally Posted by sladeinflame7 View Post
    usb still not working...
    How about helping us out here and RESPONDING to the question you were asked in oldfred's last post?

If you won't provide us information we ask for, we can't really help you.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

Either the pendrive is failing (which is rather common with such devices), or the partition table and other general information is bad. In the latter case it might help to wipe the first megabyte (not only the first 512 bytes). This can be done directly with dd as adviced by oldfred (but slightly modified),

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1024 count=1024
    or safer with mkusb according to this link

Ubuntu Forums tutorial "Howto make USB boot drives"

If you need a new USB pendrive, you find general information at these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

See posts #6 and #7 in Howto help USB boot drives

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    How about helping us out here and RESPONDING to the question you were asked in oldfred's last post?

If you won't provide us information we ask for, we can't really help you.
    Oh sorry didn't notice his question. Here we go: http://i.imgur.com/hffJd0d.png

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Either the pendrive is failing (which is rather common with such devices), or the partition table and other general information is bad. In the latter case it might help to wipe the first megabyte (not only the first 512 bytes). This can be done directly with dd as adviced by oldfred (but slightly modified),

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1024 count=1024
    or safer with mkusb according to this link

Ubuntu Forums tutorial "Howto make USB boot drives"

If you need a new USB pendrive, you find general information at these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

See posts #6 and #7 in Howto help USB boot drives
    I tried that command, but still, I gparted says "File system unallocated".
    When I try to create new file system it says "No partition table found on device /dev/sdb".
    If I want to create new partition table (msdos) it says: "Libparted bug found! Input/output error during write on /dev/sdb"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sladeinflame7 View Post
    Oh sorry didn't notice his question. Here we go: http://i.imgur.com/hffJd0d.png

I tried that command, but still, I gparted says "File system unallocated".
    When I try to create new file system it says "No partition table found on device /dev/sdb".
    If I want to create new partition table (msdos) it says: "Libparted bug found! Input/output error during write on /dev/sdb"
    I think you have done what is possible with gparted now. It seems that gparted cannot write to that device. But you can still see it as /dev/sdb (as read only). It is typical of a failing flash drive (it remains read-only after writing does not work. The next step is that it cannot be read either).

But the problem might also be co-operation with that particular USB port or with the computer, so try in another USB port and try in another computer, if you are able to create a partition table and make a file system ('format' it).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think you have done what is possible with gparted now. It seems that gparted cannot write to that device. But you can still see it as /dev/sdb (as read only). It is typical of a failing flash drive (it remains read-only after writing does not work. The next step is that it cannot be read either).

But the problem might also be co-operation with that particular USB port or with the computer, so try in another USB port and try in another computer, if you are able to create a partition table and make a file system ('format' it).
    Tried other usb port but same. I guess I will try to somehow test it on another linux machine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you use the dd procedure to create an Intaller, it does not use standard partition table like all the other methods. And then because partition table does not exist partition tools see random data or think it is corrupted.

Sometimes then just writing 0 to MBR to totally erase boot loader and partition table info works.
    Do not use this if trying to recover any data from old partitions on flash drive.

Erase - Make double sure you have correct drive & partition, Change X to correct drive.
    sudo fdisk -l
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you use the dd procedure to create an Intaller, it does not use standard partition table like all the other methods. And then because partition table does not exist partition tools see random data or think it is corrupted.

Sometimes then just writing 0 to MBR to totally erase boot loader and partition table info works.
    Do not use this if trying to recover any data from old partitions on flash drive.

Erase - Make double sure you have correct drive & partition, Change X to correct drive.
    sudo fdisk -l
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1
    Alright, I've done that, and it's still the same errors as before when doing something with Gparted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As posted before, it just may be dead. They do not last a long time and may just fail at anytime.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    As posted before, it just may be dead. They do not last a long time and may just fail at anytime.
    But it was good usb until I started reformatting with gparted. If it's indeed dead then it's only because I did something, but again, what I did is just regular gparted or Windows xp format commands, I didn't even use command line.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been doing such operations (with gparted, dd, etc) thousands times. They do not destroy the drive. They may destroy data by overwriting the partition table or (parts of) some partition, but the drive itself survives. As said before, pendrives have limited lifetime, and this one just happened to die while you were running these commands.

-o-

This is what I think; it is hard to be sure when I cannot run the different operations myself. We have to rely on verbal conversation, and we might misunderstand each other.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast