Thread: Ubuntu professional qualifications

Beans

Ubuntu professional qualifications

Having been a MCP for many years, I am finally getting to the point where I would like to move away from Microsoft's offerings, particularly as I work in the small business sector, and Microsoft is retiring SBS, which made me a good living for a long time: The next server I install will probably be Linux, with Kerio as the mail/exchange replacement.

My question is, is it worth getting Linux qualifications? If so, which certification route is the best? Does it give any credibility when applying for jobs? (In fact, are there jobs as Linux admins that pay reasonably well?) I am particularly looking at the SME sector here, as I detest the politics that go with working in a large organisation and prefer to be a freelance support/ admin person for multiple businesses.
    Last edited by mpxxuk; December 22nd, 2013 at 04:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu professional qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by mpxxuk View Post
    ... retiring SBS, which made me a good living for a long time: The next server I install will probably be Linux, with Kerio as the mail/exchange replacement.
    There is apparently one transparent replacement coming available with zentyal and OpenChange. If your requirements are a little more flexible, then you might look at plain Samba and for the mail Citadel or Kolab.

Beans

I have read the links, and it seems incredible that there are free open source alternatives to Exchange! As the functionality of Linux and Ubuntu servers increases, there could be much more demand for Linux admins. In general, is it a good career move to move away from Microsoft products?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

There were mail servers long before Exchange was even planned. But it has kind of bludgeoned of sort of niche.

With the demise of SBS and XP, I would say that in addition to the regular non-MS career options, there is now an increasing market for those that can walk a small business through the transition away from either SBS or XP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat.