Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Solved] Mouse won't work

Beans

Re: Mouse won't work

I'd just like to check up on this as it's been two days with no reply. Thanks for all your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry for not being able to respond in a reasonable time, the opportunity to be on the forums and reply back has become a luxury I rarely get these days.

On to the problem -

Did you take the pictures AFTER running the workarounds from the post I linked to? Because there seems no such activity in the logs that has the tiniest hint that you ran those commands before taking the snaps. If you did, it can mean that your touchpad wasn't even recognized by the OS.

Do you have another OS currently running on the laptop/netbook ? If yes, does the touchpad work there?

It would make our job a lot more easier if you have or can temporary get an external mouse that works. If that is not possible, then perhaps the last thing we can try just to get a hint of the problem is to copy your syslog and Xorg.0.log files from /var/log/ directory to an existing partition on your hard disk > upload them to http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/ from your working OS, then post the pastebin links here for us. And of course copy the files AFTER running these workarounds from this post as originally suggested : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12880188
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I ran all 3 commands in the order provided while the trackers were running. Ubuntu does recognize it; it works for about a second after I add the proto=imps onto it. I can't currently run the windows that I have installed (grub error no partition for Ubuntu), but it worked last time I tried.
    If it's possible, the only thing I truly need is to fix the grub error in order to access Windows; I should be able to fix the rest from there.

Thanks!

Beans

I just looked a bit farther, and it actually looks like it's a windows error (the boot problem). Would this be correct?

Edit: No, it apprars to be Ubuntu after looking again. If it's possible to fix it without installing, even better. I am looking at another hard drive, so that would fix the problem anyway, but I'd still need to access the Windows files somehow.
    Last edited by the.z.cuber; December 31st, 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by the.z.cuber View Post
    I am looking at another hard drive, so that would fix the problem anyway, but I'd still need to access the Windows files somehow.
    Have you tried an external mouse yet? To me it looks like the quickest, and most promising option at the moment, although certainly not a fix to the problem you are having.

For the touchpad issue, I couldn't get any hint from the logs in the screenshot and so a full syslog and Xorg.0.log can be a great help. If you don't have an external mouse and copying these logs with commandline is the only way, you can copy them with -
    Code:
    cp /var/log/syslog /media/<mount point of your Pen Drive>/
    cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /media/<mount point of your Pen Drive>/
    ..where "<mount point of your Pen Drive>" is the path of the directory where your pen drive gets mounted when plugged in. Usually, in Ubuntu, it is "/media/<user id>/<pen drive's Label or Name>/".

So, for example, if your user id is "zcuber" and the label of the pen drive (the name by which it shows up in the computer) is "Kingston", the commands will be -
    Code:
    cp /var/log/syslog /media/zcuber/Kingston/
    cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /media/zcuber/Kingston/
    You can confirm the mount point of the pen drive (after it is plugged in) with the 'mount' command -
    Code:
    mount
    Once the files are copied to the pen drive, you can post the log files from another computer which has internet access.

PS:
    In the meanwhile, you should also try various available boot options, especially those related to acpi, as listed here : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...Kernel_Options
    The 'How To' on using them while booting is given at the top of the same page.
    Last edited by varunendra; January 1st, 2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I had tested with an externl mouse and keyboard to no avail. I don't believe I mentioned this, but I actually work on computers quite a bit. I easily knew this was a motherboard error, not OS. I just got my new motherboard and it works great.

Thanks for your help; sorry for the hassle. My problem has been solved (motherboard failure).

Beans

Re: [Solved] Mouse won't work

Sometimes the USB plugin for the mouse just needs to be placed in a different port.

Beans

Re: [Solved] Mouse won't work

That was part of the problem; 2 of the 3 USB ports did not work, nor did the speakers. As I said, it was fairly easy to determine it was a motherboard failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12