Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Is Not UniX

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux Is Not UniX

I know the name Linux is based on Linus Torvalds name, but I think that's a crappy explanation. So I've decided to rewrite history. In the best hacker tradition, Linux is now a recursive acronym for "Linux Is Not UniX" (the terminating "X" being in the tradition of *nixen ending with a "X"). I think that's a much better origin for the name, and the previous Linus-related reason should be dismissed as an urban myth.

Who's with me!? (C'mon, someone's gotta be with me...)
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Is Not UniX

That actually makes sense. I'm with you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Well, GNU stands for GNU's Not UNIX, so you're on the right track!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!

I am pretty sure this isn't the first time in 20 years someone has noticed and posted something like this (of course non of them are alive now as a rival faction opposing this view sprung up and in the ensuing flame war not even the kittens where saved).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the puppies and the kittens were hurt..... NOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know you jest, but what Linux needs is better code and more user-friendliness, not more geeky recursive acronyms.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why not? It worked for Wine Is Not an Emulator!
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Hidden!

Isn't that why Linux is referred to as Unix-Like because it is not UNIX?

Beans
    Hidden!

The proposed Linux recursive acronym would be an allusion to GNU's recursive acronym which suggests that there is a relationship between Linux and GNU. I don't want to light the fires and guard the poles, but Linux is just the kernel, and GNU is just a set of FOSS tools that go on top of that kernel. Infact, GNU itself is referred to as an OS and it would be inherently wrong to say that Linux Is not Unix, because even though there's no direct relationship between Linux and Unix clearly there is more influence of Unix in Linux than GNU imo. The core utilities including POSIX are manifested in all Unix-based OSes, and Linux simply wants to be treated the same. Where your acronym comes into play simply contradicts how I view Linux; hence the fusion of Linus + Unix is better than drawing a parallel between GNU's recursive acronym and the proposed new recursive acronym for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Linux is considered a Unix like operating system and Unix is where is derives much of it's basic design principles from...so, while not unix....it is kind of RELATED to it
    (from Wikipedia)

A Linux-based system is a modular Unix-like operating system. It derives much of its basic design from principles established in Unix during the 1970s and 1980s. Such a system uses a monolithic kernel, the Linux kernel, which handles process control, networking, and peripheral and file system access. Device drivers are either integrated directly with the kernel or added as modules loaded while the system is running.[56]
    Separate projects that interface with the kernel provide much of the system's higher-level functionality. The GNUuserland is an important part of most Linux-based systems, providing the most common implementation of the C library, a popular shell, and many of the common Unix tools which carry out many basic operating system tasks. Thegraphical user interface (or GUI) used by most Linux systems is built on top of an implementation of the X Window System.[57]
    Last edited by craig10x; December 23rd, 2013 at 06:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast