Thread: mencoder/static ffmeg

Beans

mencoder/static ffmeg

Is there a way to use mencoder to make a mkv a mpg? I also have static ffmpeg but can't remember how to use it. I'm running 11.04 without internet. So right now I'm using mencoder to make a mkv an avi then making it mpg. Just want to cut out the extra step.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: mencoder/static ffmeg

Use avconv now instead of ffmpeg (unless you have compiled your own ffmpeg or have the static version) with command
    Code:
    avconv -i file.mkv -vcodec mpeg2video -q 5  -ab 128k file.mpg
    If using static ffmpeg you need to run command from the folder where the ffmpeg is sitting
    Code:
    ./ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec mpeg2video -sameq -ab 128k outfile.mpg
    Don't forget the ./ before ffmpeg at the start or the static version will not run.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 21st, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Beans

Will the second command work if I replace that mp4 with mkv?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mcgill.carpenter View Post
    Will the second command work if I replace that mp4 with mkv?
    Yes, it should. Sorry about that typo; I've edited and corrected it now. I quickly copied that command from one I used a few days ago but forgot to edit it to fit your question.

Beans

Hmm. It says in red. Option 'sameq' was removed. If you are looking for an option to preserve the quality (which is not what -sameq was for), use -qscale 0 or an equivalent quality factor option.
    Failed to set value '1' for option 'sameq' : Invalid argument
    Error parsing global options: Invalid argument

I've no idea what this means. Unless I'm just suppose to replace it with -qscale 0.
    Last edited by mcgill.carpenter; December 21st, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcgill.carpenter View Post
    Is there a way to use mencoder to make a mkv a mpg? I also have static ffmpeg but can't remember how to use it. I'm running 11.04 without internet. So right now I'm using mencoder to make a mkv an avi then making it mpg. Just want to cut out the extra step.
    Code:
    ./ffmpeg -i input.mkv -codec:v mpeg2video -codec:a mp2 -qscale:v 2 -b:a 192k -ac 2 output.mpg
    "-qscale:v 2" should suffice for this encoder. Anything lower may cause many "buffer underflow" messages in the console output. "-qscale:v 2" may show the messages as well, but you can probably ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If using static ffmpeg you need to run command from the folder where the ffmpeg is sitting
    Code:
    ./ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec mpeg2video -sameq -ab 128k outfile.mpg
    Don't forget the ./ before ffmpeg at the start or the static version will not run.
    Again, -sameq does not mean "same quality" and has been removed from ffmpeg (you must have missed my previous response to your -sameq recommendation). This option should not be used in 99% of cases.