Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pithos running commercials now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Exclamation Pithos running commercials now!

Loved listening to Pithos because all its excellent music was commercial free.

Did that all end? Tonight noticed Pithos is now running commercial ads about every 15 minutes. Anyone know what's going on? Also are there any other Internet music stations that are still unpolluted by ads and remain commercial free?
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Pithos running commercials now!

Move to The Cafe
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Was hoping to give this Pithos discovery a wide as possible exposure, so thought the General Forum was the ideal place to achieve that.
    Looks like the Cafe will not give the wide exposure that was hoped.....ijs

Feel like this thread was sent off to the boonies.....lol
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsaylr View Post
    so thought the General Forum was the ideal place to achieve that.
    It wasn't. From General Help forum description:

All your general support questions for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu.
    This is not a technical support thread and the Cafe is where this sort of discussion has taken place for years now.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Soma FM is commercial free but they ask for donations every now and then in between the music (that's how they can be commercial free in the first place). http://somafm.com/ Some of their channels are included in the bookmarks list of RadioTray.
    Last edited by Erik1984; December 19th, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Beans

Pithos is a pandora client. Pandora plays ads. If you want ad-free pandora, get a subscription to Pandora. It's like $4 a month or something.

For a while, I guess, Pithos did not support streaming the ads. This was bad for Pandora, because they have to pay royalties for broadcasting these songs, just like a radio station ( I know because ASCAP is always griping about how Pandora isn't paying them enough ). I can guarantee you that nobody is playing commercial copyrighted music for free without ads (or some other revenue stream, like donations) legally.

If you want legally free music, check out a service like Jamendo where people post their original content under a creative commons license.
    Last edited by lykwydchykyn; December 19th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have yet to see or hear any ads, but have seen no updates for Pithos since installing 13.10 . I have elpis for Win 7 and see no ads there either. Is this up-coming ? http://code.google.com/p/elpis-pandora-client/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Used to listen to Pandora but didn't like the ads. Switched to their Pithos client after hearing it was ad free months ago and loved it. Usually have it running some music all the time when on the computer. Have Pithos 0.3.17 version and yesterday I was surprised and disappointed to start hearing ads that run about every 15 minutes now.
    Last edited by cybrsaylr; December 20th, 2013 at 03:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I ran Pithos 3.17 for three hours last night and had no ads . I should note that last.fm scrobbling hasn't been authorized and don't know if that makes a difference , but again I have no adds today.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; December 20th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Interesting Frogs Hair.

Running Pithos now and gets ads ~ every 15 minutes.
    Went into Pithos Settings > Preferences and see that 'authorize last.fm scrobbling' button at the bottom. When it is clicked, it opens Firefox and takes me to a, Log in to Last.fm, page to sign in. At that point I cancel because I stopped using Last.fm because they also run ads. Would signing in to Last.fm make any difference for Pithos?

FWIW not sure If I signed into Last.fm in the past here and forgot about doing that......
    Last edited by cybrsaylr; December 20th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast