Thread: gtk-recordmydesktop beats kazam avconv ffmpeg vlc

Beans

gtk-recordmydesktop beats kazam avconv ffmpeg vlc

Info for the community:

I've spent a couple of hours today learning how to capture a video stream.

After much trouble I stumbled on:
    gtk-recordmydesktop
    which works fine for me (gets vid and sound and I can adjust rates with advanced - the button for ending the recording is in a little coloured square on the taskbar)

The others I tried without success were:
    vlc (it crashed my computer)
    avconv (I couldn't figure out all the parameters)
    ffmpeg (linux gave me a deprecated message)
    kazam (waste of time).

Have fun!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: gtk-recordmydesktop beats kazam avconv ffmpeg vlc

Just for your info here are the commands I have used for ffmpeg and avconv on my machine. I'm not sure about sound on these, but I'm sure you could build on those commands for sound if you need it, or you could change the output resolution which I reduced to half my screen size just to show you how it can be done .
    Code:
    avconv -f x11grab -s 1440x900 -i :0.0 -s 720x450 -q 5 Desktop/video.avi
    will make an avi with resolution of 720x450, ie half my screen resolution of 1440x900, and at the default refresh rate (25fps?)
    Code:
    avconv -f x11grab -s 1440x900 -r 15 -i :0.0 -s 720x450 -r 15 -q 5 Desktop/video.avi
    the -r 15 reduces refresh rate to 15fps, but otherwise all is the same.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1440x900 -r 15 -i :0.0 -s 720x450 -r 15 -sameq Desktop/video.avi
    note the minor change to the command output quality of -sameq which does exactly what it suggests, makes output the same quality as input.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Re: gtk-recordmydesktop beats kazam avconv ffmpeg vlc

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCready View Post
    ffmpeg (linux gave me a deprecated message)
    That misleading message refers to the fake "ffmpeg" from a fork of FFmpeg. See Who can tell me the difference and relation between ffmpeg, libav, and avconv? and The FFmpeg/Libav situation for info.

For a good guide for capturing the screen with ffmpeg see: HOWTO: Proper Screencasting on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    note the minor change to the command output quality of -sameq which does exactly what it suggests, makes output the same quality as input.
    -sameq does not mean "same quality", and has been removed from ffmpeg (unless you're using something ancient). -sameq only worked in some situations; specifically where the input and outputs use the same quantizer scale.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; December 20th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.