Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How can I give multiple users equal access/ownership to the same samba share?

Beans

Re: How can I give multiple users equal access/ownership to the same samba share?

Ya, FreeNAS not for everyone. But if nothing else it (or a Linux-based alternative) might give you clues as to configuration for both NFS and CIFS, to get everything behaving the same way on both file sharing services.

Beans

Re: How can I give multiple users equal access/ownership to the same samba share?

Before anyone gets all medieval on me hear me out first: I may have a possible answer to why your mount isn't working as you want.

*** There's really nothing wrong with your share definition. It's a guest share, the folder being shared is owned by "nobody", and all of your remote users are adding files as "nobody". Just don't add any shares that require authentication or it will hose everything up - although it's fixable.

*** The problem isn't really your mount expression either.

*** The problem is you are using Ubuntu 13.10 as the client OS.

In Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier:

Somebody adds a file to the local mount point in Ubuntu 12.10 it will add as 664 to the local mount point and the mount will force it to have gid=1002 so it will work.

In Ubuntu 13.10:

There is a bug in the default umask mechanism that will not be fixed so if somebody adds a file it will save as 644. It's unwritable to everyone else locally.

Give this a shot:
    Code:
    //192.168.1.118/galactica /media/galactica cifs guest,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,gid=1002,uid=1000,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0660,nounix 0 0
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 23rd, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Before anyone gets all medieval on me hear me out first: I may have a possible answer to why your mount isn't working as you want.

*** There's really nothing wrong with your share definition. It's a guest share, the folder being shared is owned by "nobody", and all of your remote users are adding files as "nobody". Just don't add any shares that require authentication or it will hose everything up - although it's fixable.

*** The problem isn't really your mount expression either.

*** The problem is you are using Ubuntu 13.10 as the client OS.

In Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier:

Somebody adds a file to the local mount point in Ubuntu 12.10 it will add as 664 to the local mount point and the mount will force it to have gid=1002 so it will work.

In Ubuntu 13.10:

There is a bug in the default umask mechanism that will not be fixed so if somebody adds a file it will save as 644. It's unwritable to everyone else locally.

Give this a shot:
    Code:
    //192.168.1.118/galactica /media/galactica cifs guest,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,gid=1002,uid=1000,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0660,nounix 0 0
    I assume you mean this and this.
    Last edited by bab1; December 23rd, 2013 at 02:35 AM.
    -BAB1

Beans

All - I wanted to let everyone know that I finally did resolve this issue. With the excellent help of Bab1 and the pointer from Morbius1 I was able to get the right guidance to make it work. Just to close the thread out, here is what we did to resolve:

1. I decided to go back to SMB/CIFS Samba server instead of NFS and made sure my share was mounted on my Ubuntu 13.10 client with the following:

Code:
    Where GID=1002 is a group that contains the users that should have access to the share.

2. Then, I followed the launchpad link that Bab1 provided in his last post to do the following on my Ubuntu 13.10 client:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i upstart_1.11-0ubuntu1-amd64.deb

• Reboot

Now I can read/write create files between users and everyone has equal access. Awesome work everyone and thanks for the help.

I still need to fix my permissions on the server side, but I'll leave that out of this thread for now. Again, many thanks to Bab1 for taking the time to help me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234